Should all recreational BCD’s have two tank bands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They'd sold it to me threaded incorrectly (came that way from the manufacturer?), showed me how to do it right, and I never had a problem after. (This was well before http and youtube, and I don't think I even got a manual with the thing.)
I still find threading cam buckles without a picture in front of me to be one of my most challenging skills. I can do a long no mask swim, at 130 feet, in cold water. No worries. I can shoot a bag in a silty quarry without stirring up any muck. Easy as pie. But, threading the d**n cam buckle still requires thought for some reason. :)

I still find threading cam buckles without a picture in front of me to be one of my most challenging skills. I can do a long no mask swim, at 130 feet, in cold water. No worries. I can shoot a bag in a silty quarry without stirring up any muck. Easy as pie. But, threading the d**n cam buckle still requires thought for some reason. :)
Have to say this is one of the reasons I love the SP cinch system - very easy to thread and adjust

The new PADI standards require students to be able to deal with loose tank bands. Under those standards, I have many times come up behind students and opened their tank bands. The tank does not go far, and it is easy for the buddy to effect a repair.

That’s fantastic! Unfortunately, my OW class did not teach this skill 8 years ago. I have read other posts regarding the thorough instruction and the required tasks emphasized in your OW course and have been very impressed.

However, after reading the multitude of posts praising the incredible reliability attributed to jacket BC’s with single tank bands one might come to a simple conclusion. Being proficient in resolving a loose tank band issue is completely unnecessary……..:wink:

Last edited:
On BBC 4 (UK TV) tonight there was a very good programme about diving WW2 wrecks in the Irish sea. They were technical diving with a mix of tanks dangling all over the place and what looked like rebreathers. The diver were up to 2 1/2 hours and 250 ft deep. No one seemed to have any problem with tanks dangling all over the place even when rolling in over the boat side in a 2 meter swell.

I'm fond of two bands and I won't buy a BCD with only a single band. Personal preference. No rules required.

Dollar Shave Club! :wink:

Meh. Get a safety razor and a bulk pack of blades from amazon. You may go as low as Dime Shave Club if you choose your blades wisely.

I've been shaving with Mach 3 for a very long time, I've been diving successfully with a single band system for even longer.
That elicited a hearty and welcome chuckle from me upon reading it, Craig. Not quite "laugh out loud"- but pretty darn close :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom