Should air have a smell?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please do take this seriously. It is potentially fatal. Moreover, there may be residual compressor oil inside your tanks, requiring you to have your tanks O2 cleaned (if your shop performs partial pressure blending of nitrox).

Here is some additional information - this problem appears to be more widespread than is commonly recognized:
Toluene Gas Contamination Incident - The Deco Stop

If you tried with 2 new regs they might both smell, perhaps a rubber smell. Do try checking from the tank directly. Or try your regs on some other tank to compare. Not that you shouldn't have the shop check the tank if it's at all a question. (Cleaning isn't something that happens before each fill, if you bought a new tank with VIP it should be all set.)

I was just reading about this. The smell can be caused by several things but mostly from mold forming in the tank or regulator areas from excess water condensation. This is of course on your equipment. It can also be caused from the same stuff forming in your dive shop's equipment. You should call the shop that filled the tank & let them know what happened and also clean your equipment. I guess if the smell is still there after the tank refill then maybe have it vis inspected for mold on the inside. Oh Yea someone also could have just farted in your tank - LOL Its the new mix gass called fartrox.

There should never be water in a tank to create a mold issue and especially in a brand new tank that's never seen water.

One check for contaminants is to put a clean white cloth over the tank face and (keeping fingers and toes clear) crack the valve and check to see if there is any residue on the cloth.

Rachel

another thing to try is to spread a bit of toilet tissue over the front of your valve and slowly turn the cylinder on for approx 30 secs. if the tissue is discoloured at all, there is definite contamination in your tank

Thanks to everyone that responded.

In this case, the problem was moisture. There was a significant amount when we opened it up. I am not getting my air from that shop anymore!

Be aware that one of the main causes of water getting into a tank is that the compressor filter has become saturated so that it cannot remove any more water from the air, and it therefore letting it go through the filter and into the tank. The big problem with this is that once the filter is saturated it can no longer function properly as a filter at all, and cannot filter out any of the other, more serious contaminants it is supposed to be filtering out either - in fact, saturating the filter with water may actually make it give off contaminants is has previously absorbed.

Since oil is usually found in a compressor as an emulsion with the water, if there is visible water in the tank there is often also oil and who knows what else since you are essentially breathing unfiltered air. Not a good thing.

In this case, the problem was moisture. There was a significant amount when we opened it up. I am not getting my air from that shop anymore!

If this was a moisture issue, I'd reccomend getting your tanks cleaned.

no telling if there was any oil in that moisture. It's just not worth breathing and causing problems.

It might cost $25-$30 bucks at your LDS to get your tanks cleaned, and you might not want to pay that, but figure if you get sick, your medical insurance co-pay is about that and you'd wish you had done if if you develop a lung problem from contaminated air.

Thanks for the advice Mike. I did get it cleaned, I have a great lds. I had gotten my air from a place near my work, not the place I normally go. When my lds looked in there, he just shook his head and cleaned it out on the spot.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom