Should a non-DIR diver use a long hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamickey

I'm a GIRL!
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I really like the concept of the long hose. I'm not a DIR trained diver nor am I a technical diver by any stretch. Heck, Nitrox is about as technical as it gets for me. So my question is this: Is it OK for me to switch to a long hose or is it considered a faux pas by the DIR commuity for a rec diver to do so?

To make things really weird, to say the least, I also have an Air 2 and I'm happy with it. I don't intend to change back to a regular octopus unless I get involved with Tech diving.

Obviously nobody is going to stop me from going to a long hose. My question is specifically, would it be appropriate--socially speaking. Or will I get laughed overboard by the techies? :D

Yes...I have hose envy
I'm a woman, what else is knew

Go for it. I wish that everyone used it.

However, I will say this....

PRACTICE AIR SHARING!!!

This goes for EVERYONE, but especially so for those with Air2's or long hoses.

Not sure where you are mickey (but we just opened a new Disneyland this week so you might be in Hong Kong with me!) but I use a 7' hose on my primary and I'm not DIR. If anyone laughs at me so be it, I really couldn't give a **** :). But so far (about 1 year or so) no one has and I've found it to be a very useful change.

Go for it and let 'em laugh if they want, who cares!

scubamickey:
I really like the concept of the long hose. I'm not a DIR trained diver nor am I a technical diver by any stretch. Heck, Nitrox is about as technical as it gets for me. So my question is this: Is it OK for me to switch to a long hose or is it considered a faux pas by the DIR commuity for a rec diver to do so?

To make things really weird, to say the least, I also have an Air 2 and I'm happy with it. I don't intend to change back to a regular octopus unless I get involved with Tech diving.

Obviously nobody is going to stop me from going to a long hose. My question is specifically, would it be appropriate--socially speaking. Or will I get laughed overboard by the techies? :D

Yes...I have hose envy
Lots of non-DIR, recreational divers in our area use a long hose. If you're going to make the change, I would recommend having someone who's conversant with the procedures help you set it up and do a couple dives with you ... and practice an air share or two while you're doing your safety stops.

But since you're asking this in the DIR forum, I will say that the long hose with Air II setup is definitely NOT DIR ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I would suggest some training however. It could be a liability if not deployed correctly. DIR f is the typical place to get the trainining. Sure some people may laugh but so what.

scubamickey:

Obviously nobody is going to stop me from going to a long hose. My question is specifically, would it be appropriate--socially speaking. Or will I get laughed overboard by the techies?
04.gif

Yes...I have hose envy

DIR doesnt own the idea of using a 7ft hose. You can use any size hose you want.

The air2 may complicate things -- like re-stowing the long hose while still on the air-2, or if you make the mistake of going for the air2 first before deploying the long hose.

Definitely practice a bunch with that config.

I am using 5ft hose because I am using Air 2. Of course, I am not DIR. DIR hates Air 2, I think.... I often practice the air sharing with my buddy (GF) who is also using Air 2. We find out that the hose is too short to do air sharing. So, I accept the DIR concept (long hose concept). But, 7ft is too long to manage without using the canister light, so we pick up 5 ft. That's us........

Good...nobody laughed at me for asking.

THe thing with the Air 2 is that I bought it this year before I really dove with DIR divers. I also like the lack of an extra hose. My dive buddy is my hubby and he getting DIR trained and going into tech diving. I'm a few years behind him. So we will get plenty of practice. Which we already planned on doing when I got my Air 2.

For the record, I posted to the DIR forum because it is the group that I am most familiar with and knew would have divers who understood the long hose concept. I love DIR people! It's like watching an underwater ballet.

The concept of grasping arms and being a foot away from the out of air buddy makes no sense to me. I don't think that you can comfortably control buoyancy that way and the only direction is straight up. With the longer hose you can maintain the normal swim position and do a deep stop ascent as planned without having to be superglued to your buddy. You each manage your own bouyancy.

Novicediver: I had the same questions as you when I first heard of this. But try air sharing the standard way at 80 feet. In the certification class everything seems easy because you never do it below 35 feet. If you ever have trouble maintaining your bouyancey at the 15 ft mark, imagine doing so with your buddy strapped to your arm.
No, for me it just makes sense to go with a longer hose. Plus, if you buy good equipment, it won't matter who has which regulator. They should both be quality pieces of gear so it wouldn't matter who gets what.

scubamickey:
Novicediver: I had the same questions as you when I first heard of this. But try air sharing the standard way at 80 feet.
Actually, I would prefer that he didn't until he gets a few more dives, and some OOA practice, under his weightbelt at shallower depths ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom