Shot Weight Preferences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zf2nt

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm curious which type of bag weights local divers prefer--Sea Pearls or Arrow. To make it clear which is which, Arrow weights come in canvas bags which are color-coded as follows:
1#--yellow; 2#--teal; 3#--black; 4#--blue; 5#--red.
Sea Pearls are packaged in mesh bags and are color-coded as follows:
1#--black; 2#--gray; 3#--burgundy; 4#--navy; 5#--black.

They are now priced identically the same, though in past years the Sea Pearls prices were higher. So with price not a factor, which of these two would you prefer?

Bruce

I like the Sea Pearls.

Bruce,

I use the Sea Pearls. Haven't had any issues with them leaking.

Rod

All the lead you could possibly want is waiting for you on Ballbuster for free. Help yourself to anything you find, which will clean up the reef and recycle the lead. I have already picked up a couple hundred pounds that will be turned into dive weights for the boat. Sizes range from 1lb to 50lb. Bring a lift bag!

...and I have seen a lot of leaking Sea Pearls...

I have both and prefer the Arrow brand.

My drysuit shows the lead leakage big time as there is a black stain. My weight belt is a 16# soft belt that I add onto as needed. It pours white stuff out all the time now and not black.

The sea pearls seem to be a bit more flexible and easier to get in and out of pouches..havnt noticed any leaking?

I have both kinds actually..its not a big deal really. I use the mesh ones in my non ditchable pockets as it is a bit tight.

I have been using soft weights for about 20 years.

I am now making the switch back to hard coated weights which work just fine in my XS SCUBA pouch weight belt.

The soft weights leach more lead and antimony from rubbing together where you dive and around the home. I rinse my weights in the driveway. I have a higher concentration of Pb/Sb where the water runs into the lawn. I also use my weight belt to weigh down my wetsuit when soaking it in the bathtub.

Back
Top Bottom