Shot through the heart (somewhat graphic warning)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Instead of whining, you guys should probably go start your own private forum with rules you feel appropriate. Hate to see you so oppressed here. Must hurt your feelings pretty bad to cause so many tears. I'd hate to go through life being so sensitive.

Or let's not be offended about everything..
Then there will not have to have a liberal scubaboard and a conservative scubaboard.

There was nothing wrong with the post.

Karma.... that was funny.
Laugh people...

I was taught if you play with knives...
one day you will cut yourself.
If you go to the army you will get shot at...
If you scuba dive you will run out of air...
It's not that complicated...
Toughen up people and moderators...

Rules I have know idea what the rules are...

I was taught don't saw anything you wouldn't say to someone's face.
Worst thing that has ever happened is keyboard courage.

Instead of whining, you guys should probably go start your own private forum with rules you feel appropriate. Hate to see you so oppressed here. Must hurt your feelings pretty bad to cause so many tears. I'd hate to go through life being so sensitive.

That's why the moderation, so people's feelings don't get hurt, offended is the word they use to make it sound serious. You have it exactly right! It's a shame people are so sensitive that others have to protect them from words. Heck of way to go thru life.

I'm honestly asking. I hadn't read so n so's hypothesis on what he thought happened.

On what we thought could be the only ways possible for that type of injury.

I'm a spearo and I don't know the facts in this picture but I'll try to point some things out.

*) This picture is a couple of years old, I think I first saw it the beginning of 2020.

*) A trigger mech is typically located at the end of the shaft and the victim's arm would probably not be long enough and be able to pull the trigger so that probably rules out "Self-Inflicted". So someone else probably pulled the trigger.

*) You are not allowed to spearfish in Europe/Turkey on scuba, you must be freediving with no tanks. And lots of freedivers dive one up and one down. Some(?) spearo's return to the boat with loaded guns to save time (yaa I know it's not safe-I don't)

*)The angle of the spear in the picture suggests that it was fired from someone 'above' the victim

Now comes the pure {speculation} on my part based on my spearfishing experience.....................
The victim was returning to the boat with his gun still loaded. He handed his gun up 'butt first' so the spear would not be pointed at the deck person because it was still loaded. The deck person grabbed the speargun by the handle trigger and accidentally squeezed/touched the trigger firing the spear. If you picture the victim being in the water still and handing his gun up to the deck person, the alignment in the picture is almost perfect for what would result & happen. {/speculation}

PS>> Not all of us spearo's are bad people, most are very very safe and fun to dive with.

See above IMO a much more likely scenario.
He shot HIMSELF?

Now why someone would hand off a loaded speargun is another discussion. Also why someone grabbing a speargun from someone wouldn't grab it around the tube/bands I don't know.

I found a speargun once, it was under some kelp like seaweed laying on the bottom. I could just make out the tube in the open spaces. I grabbed the tube, pulled up and was looking at the muzzle end of a loaded speargun! My hands were around the tube/bands so I was safe. I unloaded it and found the owner thru SB.

I'm a spearo and I don't know the facts in this picture but I'll try to point some things out.

*) This picture is a couple of years old, I think I first saw it the beginning of 2020.

*) A trigger mech is typically located at the end of the shaft and the victim's arm would probably not be long enough and be able to pull the trigger so that probably rules out "Self-Inflicted". So someone else probably pulled the trigger.

*) You are not allowed to spearfish in Europe/Turkey on scuba, you must be freediving with no tanks. And lots of freedivers dive one up and one down. Some(?) spearo's return to the boat with loaded guns to save time (yaa I know it's not safe-I don't)

*)The angle of the spear in the picture suggests that it was fired from someone 'above' the victim

Now comes the pure {speculation} on my part based on my spearfishing experience.....................
The victim was returning to the boat with his gun still loaded. He handed his gun up 'butt first' so the spear would not be pointed at the deck person because it was still loaded. The deck person grabbed the speargun by the handle trigger and accidentally squeezed/touched the trigger firing the spear. If you picture the victim being in the water still and handing his gun up to the deck person, the alignment in the picture is almost perfect for what would result & happen. {/speculation}

PS>> Not all of us spearo's are bad people, most are very very safe and fun to dive with.

Thank you for taking the time to put this together. It sounds like a very plausible scenario. As such it represents a failing on two persons: The spearo for handing up a loaded gun as well as the deck hand for taking a loaded gun. Then there's also the muzzle and trigger discipline but I wasn't there and perhaps it was pointed in a safe direction, fingers nowhere close to the trigger, but then a swell hits the boat and that's when there was a negligent discharge that could have been prevented by going all the way back to the spearo unloading the gun.

Of course there are other possibilities: They could have all been standing around on the boat when someone tripped and fell and impaled themself--or another--on the spear.

Although to correct the thread title, doesn't look like he was shot in the heart, looks rather far off to the left side, even past the lung, given that the victim's mouth isn't covered in blood and on an O2 mask.

See above IMO a much more likely scenario.

Now why someone would hand off a loaded speargun is another discussion. Also why someone grabbing a speargun from someone wouldn't grab it around the tube/bands I don't know.

I found a speargun once, it was under some kelp like seaweed laying on the bottom. I could just make out the tube in the open spaces. I grabbed the tube, pulled up and was looking at the muzzle end of a loaded speargun! My hands were around the tube/bands so I was safe. I unloaded it and found the owner thru SB.

People are stupid

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom