Shorty or full length?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShinySideUp

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm diving in Belize this xmas, and not sure if I should bring a full length 3 mil or the shorty. I've never experienced diving in warm water so I'm really looking forward to losing some neoprene layers. I plan on being in the Carib a lot more in the future so I'm keen on having a warm water set of gear either way. Short or long, what are your thoughts?

Well, you'll probably see people in both of those. I think a full suit is always a good idea for protection from stingy things in the water, scrapes and bangs on a boat, whatever. I do see most people in the Carribean in either full suits of some sort or bathing suits, and not shortys so much (though shortys are popular for rentals since they're easier to fit.)

As far as what you will need thermally, that's a very individual thing and hard for someone else to guess. If you are a northerner and/or used to diving colder water you will probably want less than someone who is someplace warm year round. I personally use a 1mm skin, sometimes with a 3mm vest when it's a bit cooler.

I live in northern Belize and dive year-round. I usually use either a dive skin (like Damselfish's) or just shorts and a rashguard. The only time I feel I want more is back on the boat when the air is cold, which is more likely after a night dive. But I take a large and baggy nylon raincoat that I slip on over everything as a windbreak, and that does the job. Only occasionally do we have water that warrants much more than that, and similarly only occasionally do we get air temperatures that necessitate a sweatshirt on land in the evenings.

That said, as a general recommendation I'd say get a 3mm full suit. And remember that the fit of the suit is more important than the material it's made from, as most heat is lost to water swilling through the suit past the seals.

We rent both short and long suits, but as Damselfish says it's much harder fitting John (or Jane) Doe to a long suit.

Given that most people pee in their wetsuits (the remainder lie about it) you might want to consider getting your own sooner rather than later. A good compromise which gives lots of flexibility is a (long) dive skin in a fairly heavy fabric (not the wafer-thin nylon ones you can get) AND a 3mm shorty neoprene suit. You can wear either or both depending on conditions at the time, and the combination is light and easily carried. The shorty needs to be a snug fit at the openings for the reasons above.

As far as what you will need thermally, that's a very individual thing and hard for someone else to guess.

79 to 84 degrees water temp. That is the only answer. You have to know what that means to you.

What is your surface interval situation? On a liveaboard, it can be variable but generally an easy recovery. Warm rock in the sun, etc.

If you're in a small boat, well....

I use full suits for all salt water diving. Added protection and better thermo values....if you are getting a bit warm leave the back zipper down.

Thanks for the replies. I still cant get my head around being in water that warm!

At risk of hijacking my own thread - Are gloves verboten in Belize? I'm not big on grabbing stuff underwater anyway, but I know some places get touchy about gloves.

I don't recall what the rules are there, as I don't wear them anyway. But if you're out to shed neoprene and stuff, gloves are definitely a good thing to lose and it's rare to see people wearing them in warm water. (A few people keep a pair in a pocket in case they need to hang onto an encrusted anchor line or similar.)

They're not allowed in marine parks, of which we have a few. But they're really not necessary anyway. Nor (and this may be controversial) is a knife, in practice. I have a fair numberr of dives in all sorts of waters and have always carried two knives, but here in Belize in 5+ years I've never needed to use one.

Thanks for the replies. I still cant get my head around being in water that warm!

It's warm but it's 18 degrees below your body temp. I've seen more than a few tourist divers jump in on the first dive in Dec or Jan and say, "this is so warm...why are you wearing a wetsuit"? On the third dive they're freezing and I've seem some not dive because of that. I get cold with a full 3 mm on the second or third dive.

Yes, it's very personal. I've been on a dive boat here in December wearing a skin, alongside someone else wearing a drysuit!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom