shortening a Transpac belt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveFass

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Simple question but I searched and can't find a discussion of this.

The Diverite Transpac belt (size ML) is so long on me (I'm 6'0 and 185 lbs). Does it work like buying dress pants in that it made super long and expected that the owner will shorten it? Do you shorten your belt and if so how do you do it?

It doesn't seem like the belt can be replaced (unlike other parts of the Transpac). So if you mess up do you have to throw the whole thing away (after salvaging for buckles)?

Just cut where you want and burn the end - same as cutting any other piece of nylon webbing. You do want to leave plenty of room for heavy drysuit underwear, etc. If the cummerbund is too large, you can get a smaller one. With a 30” waist, I have an ML harness with a small cummerbund.

If you messed up, you could probably very carefully cut the webbing off of the harness and have a new piece sewn on by an upholstery shop… Not a great option, but it could be done.

I have the same problem as jfoutz. The belt is way big and I did cut it to proper length, but the cumberbund is way too small for me. I only have about 3" of engaged velcro (32" waist). It's enough to keep it together but it picks at my wet suit making it fuzzy.

Do you guys find the Trans Pac needing more weights when diving with it? I'm 5'10" 175lbs and I have to strap on about 13-14 lbs. With other BC's I only use about 10lbs. And also, I have to strap some of that weight on the top strap of the tank or else I'm feet heavy.

Amadeus - so you have the full cummerbund and not the midi-sport version? Sorry but my cummerbund (sport version) stops at the kidneys - so no velcro. But still, with a 32" waist I don't see how anything can be too small. Maybe you have the small size? I vaguely remember having a 32" waist at one time.

On the weights, assuming all things are equal I don't see how you would need more weight when using the Transpac. It's positive buyancy is just about 0. Maybe you made other gear changes which is causing your problem?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom