Short trip report 4/17-4/24 OC Grand-Papa Hogs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott101

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I finally got over the effects of sand gravity and can give you a brief report on our trip.

Travel:

Everything went well on the trip down but the return was a mess. There had to be 100 planes (ok, maybe 3 or 4) worth of people trying to get through Customs in Houston. That in itself wasn't so bad unless you had a connecting flight that was less than an hour to take off. The airline reps had to keep coming around and pulling people to the front so that they could catch their flight. Then, once on the plane, they decided to turn the airport take off/ landing directions 180` so we ended up sitting in line to take off for over an hour.

Ok, enough whining, time for the good stuff.

Hotel:

We stayed at the OC Grand and all I can say is WOW! Everything, from the grounds to the staff to the food, was great. Yes, the room was a tad musty and the matress was hard but the place was great. One word of advice....the dress is a tad bit nicer than we expected. Think a little less than resort casual for any event after the sun goes down. Then if you go to any of the a la carte places, turn it up a notch or two from that. The food from the buffets was some of the best that we had ever sampled at an AI so we ate there the whole week. One down side, the pizza place. Bad...really bad but hey, this is Mexico, not Italy.

Diving:

What can I say...I was great!!! This was my first time using a 6-pack boat and diving with Papa Hog's and I was very happy I decided to try it. I ended up diving with two couples and the same DM (Tony) all week. The best part was that once Tony saw that we were decent divers, he let us dive our own dives with in reason while always being close to point out the critters or resolve a problem. Another great thing was that we dived our computers rather than being told that we would do x ft for y mins, regardless of air remaining.

I know that a lot of people like "going deep" but I would have to say that the best dive of the week was a shallow dive at Columbia which was 25' for 65 min! Talk about tons of fish and great bottom time.

I took some pictures that I will put a link to but keep in mind that it was my first time at underwater photography. Those darn fish refused to stay still!

One other cool thing was that on one dive, a lot of the sponges were spawning so we got to see the release of millions of larve.

And for the record....Sea lice suck!!!!! The last dive day (Thursday) I must have surfaced in a million of them because my neck and shoulders are still itching. Thanks to the board for posting info about them....I just wish I had read it BEFORE it went.

Link to the photo's of the OC Grand and the underwater pics I took.

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/frasure711

Hi Scott, Great pic's. I am staying at the OGC in June. Can't wait to show your pics to the wife as the ogc website pic's are a little lacking. What kind of camera did you use?

For the land pictures, I used a Kodak 5.0 mp (299.00 at Target) and for the underwater ones, I recently bought a 2.1 (DC250) reefmaster digital camera. The pictures turned out pretty good with just the onboard flash but it took some help from Photoshop to clean them up.

Trust me, your wife will LOVE the Grand. I highly reccomend it.

Hi Scott:

Bob and I enjoyed diving with you too! It was nice to dive with people who knew what they were doing and respected the reef and it's residents.

Sorry we missed you on Thursday, we decided to take that day off and explore the other side of Cozumel.

We also missed you on Friday. We left late enough in the day that we could go on a morning dive. Tony finally found us a toad fish! He wiggled his fingers at it and it snapped at him! What a hoot! I guess his stories about encounters with sea creatures were true!

Your pictures came out great! Very nice for your first time!

If you are ever up for some nice, cold Great Lakes diving, let
us know! We'll be happy to take you out!

Janice and Bob

Great report and fantastic pics! The hotel looks beautiful! And your UW pics are great too! Darn those fish for not posing like good little models.

We were in Coz the same week but we stayed at FA. Closer to town, but from what you're saying the AI is worth it at OC Grand. AND you had a REAL BEACH!!! Lucky you, I really missed that.
Glad you had such a great trip!
We'll keep OC Grand in mind for our next Coz trip!

Scott101:

We were there from 4/16 through 4/21. We probably saw you in the restaurant, because like you, we dined at the buffet every meal.

I agree with everything you said about the Occidental Grand - except for the Pizza - as we never even tried it, so I don't know. I can't wait to go back.

Great trip report and pics! Makes me want to go back NOW!!

Scott - thanks for sharing the trip report and the pix. Some terrific photos for a 'first-time' underwater!! We're big Papa Hog fans - nothing like fast 6-packs and great DM's! :)

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Scubabun, HI!!!!!! I have to admit I am terrible with names but remembered you guys from your gear tags. You guys were great to dive with although I am really jealous of the other couple that were heading to Belize for ANOTHER week of diving....some people have it too good! Did you decide to do the night dive? I took Friday off to take "Boss" into town again so that she would let me come back again. It was painful though watching all the boats heading out that morning. I started to stick my thumb out and try to hitch a ride once or twice.

Squeekycat, I bet we passed each other many times. What operator did you dive with?

Again, kudos to Papa Hogs. I wish I had made it into the shop (arrangements were made by email and with the DM Tony) to meet Margret and see if Mike is as grumpy as everyone says ha ha.

They are some great pictures.. looks like you have a great time..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom