Short spring strap recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WarmWaterWeenie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What would you recommend for my wife given the following?

Fins: Mares Avanti X-3 (with mushroom posts)
Size from center of post to center of post with booties on: 10.25"
She really likes the idea of finger loop such as on the Innovative straps

From reading previous posts, it looks like the following are my options:

1. Purchase Innovative small strap and cut it down
2. Purchase XS spring strap
3. Purchase custom made one (from Wayward Son for example)

Here are my questions:

1. How difficult is option 1? What is involved?
2. Would she go with the 8" or 10" XS strap?
3. Are there any other options you can think of which includes the finger loop?

Thanks for your help!

10 inch strap should work fine. The pad on the back also reduces the length so to speak. Was her foot all the way in the fin and was the 10.25 measurement a tight fit? Or did you just loop a tape around it? It should be done with the tape simulating the tension she would expect to feel with out being painful.

I really prefer the apollo spring straps although they are a bit more expensive they are built to last.

Jim,
The measurement was taken with the foot all the way forward in the fin. I would say it was not tight, but it there was some tension. If I were to squeeze as to simulate the tension during a dive, my guess would be the measurement would be something like 9.75" to 10".

Wow. Sounds like 8 is way too small and 10 MIGHT be a bit big. I say might be. Why not take her and her fins to a shop that sells these and try them on. Also XS is not the only one who makes em. Trident and Innovative scuba also make springs. Mine are from the latter and work well. Check em out. They may be easier to find in your LDS especially since springs are getting so popular. And then again contact wayward and see what he says.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom