Short Plate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It really depends on how you're put together. I'm 5'4" and a regular plate fits me fine, but a small is only a smidge small. I have an occasional dive buddy who is truly tiny (I would guess 5 feet and 90 lbs) and I was SURE she would need a small plate, but when I put it on her, it wasn't right. She was better in a medium.

Tobin's question is getting at the fact that, with a single tank, you have a lot of latitude about tank placement with respect to the plate. You can move the tank up or down to get your balance right and the valve where you can reach it. So if the plate needs to sit a little low to get the waist straps right, it doesn't matter.

The same thing can be awful with doubles, because you only have a finite set of places you can set the tanks, so the top of the plate really HAS to be at about T2. Then, if the plate is too short, the waistband will be on the bottom of your ribcage and uncomfortable.

When using doubles the lower edge of the plate may not even contact the diver. Instead, the cyylinders rest on the buttocks. This diver may not notice that his plate is too large. But in singles this same plate might dig into the diver's lower back making it obvious that the plate is too large.

Stephen Ash:
When using doubles the lower edge of the plate may not even contact the diver. Instead, the cyylinders rest on the buttocks. This diver may not notice that his plate is too large. But in singles this same plate might dig into the diver's lower back making it obvious that the plate is too large.

BINGO!

My gal is 5'2" and had to have a short plate, as most plates would dig into her booty. Not all people have the same torso length either.

I'm 5'8" but have long legs and a short torso. When I used a regular sized plate with my doubles it was seriously uncomfortable and left me with bruises. So I switched to the shorter backplates and it solved the problem.

Excellent, thank you all for the feedback! I will be using a single tank (for now) and sometimes in a 3mm wetsuit so it appears the short ss plate will be perfect for me... I am excited to make this change. Anyone looking to buy a used Ladyhawk BC? Will be listed in classifieds soon...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom