Short people problems/hacks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Might work for a twinset, but with a single tank/backplate rig, the plate and the (probable) STA weight will add quite a bit to the total weight of the package. I use a single tank BP/W rig, and I prefer to lug the tank down before I assemble my kit.

Good point but still worth a try.

I also have an overactive imagination. I don't know the facts about whether a damaged valve will cause an explosion, but my mind produced that image, and I compulsively shared it.

If a tanks slips off your shoulder, step aside to get your feet out of harms way but hang on to the valve until the bottom of the tank is on the ground. With a little practice, people will think that's your way of putting the tanks down.

If the valve breaks off, a tank will not explode but will buzz around like these whistling firework things. The hole where the gas can escape from is relatively small but due to the pressure this is still a great way of getting everybody's attention.

If that tank is filled with 100% Oxygen (for deco), things may get much uglier. If even the smallest amount of metal gets hot enough from friction or impact to start burning, an explosion is typically the end result. Metal will burn easily and very rapidly in pure O2 and the energy released is enough to rupture the tank. I think there was a guy here on scubaboard who got seriously hurt after accidentally tipping over an O2 tank in his garage.

Scuba tanks are manufactured according to DOT standards established for industrial cylinders that get banged around, fall off a truck, slide across an intersection after falling off a truck, etc. So there is a healthy amount of safety margin built into these tanks.

Last edited:
Ha, in my case, when a man offers to carry my tanks and/or gear, part of me is like, F*** yeah, I'm worn out from the aerobic workout of getting my wetsuit on, and part of me is like, Am I negatively affecting The Cause???
If anyone - man or woman - would offer to carry my gear, I'd just say thanks and enjoy it. But since I'm a man, that'll probably never going to happen unless I've already paid them to do so.

But if they offer to set up my gear, no effing way. I'm doing that myself, thankyouverymuch.

...That size statistically is somewhat correlated with gender is, I hope, incidental to my behavior.

When I'm briskly going about my gear prep business, no one asks me if I need help. If I'm struggling to find an arm hole in my BCD when I'm putting it on, or dragging a tank, people have quickly offered to help. It's just nice.

@Lobzilla Thanks for the tank demystification!

If anyone - man or woman - would offer to carry my gear, I'd just say thanks and enjoy it.

But if they offer to set up my gear, no effing way. I'm doing that myself, thankyouverymuch.

BINGO.

If I'm struggling to find an arm hole in my BCD when I'm putting it on, or dragging a tank, people have quickly offered to help. It's just nice.!
I like that, too. In fact, it makes life a lot easier, so I really prefer it.

In my world, that's one of the things buddies are for. To help each others, because the gear is heavy and cumbersome. I've had (female) buddies declining my offer of helping them ("You need any help with that? No? OK"), because they prefer to manage themselves. I respect that and even believe I understand why. Me, I really appreciate a polite offer of a hand.

If I need help, I’ll ask for it. Guys often help schlep my tanks at the quarry or even push the cart full of gear to and from my car at the marina the local charter goes out from. Of course, their slip is waaaay at the end! If Capt or crew on the boat offers, I tip accordingly. With my regular dive buddies, I will buy lunch or dinner after diving fairly often.

Not only am I short, I’ve got two bum knees, sciatica on one side, and a leg recovering from significant weakness after a shingles attack 3 months ago. So I’m often limping or not walking quite well. I’ll take any gear schlepping help that’s offered.

In my world, that's one of the things buddies are for. To help each others, because the gear is heavy and cumbersome.

This is something I keep reminding myself. The gender issue is not as severe as my stubborn autonomous/go it alone streak. Diving is its own subculture, with the buddy mentality. It's been interesting.

@Marie13 and there's more gear for cold water!

This is something I keep reminding myself. The gender issue is not as severe as my stubborn autonomous/go it alone streak. Diving is its own subculture, with the buddy mentality. It's been interesting.

@Marie13 and there's more gear for cold water!

You got that right!

At some point in our lives we all are going to need help. It is best to learn how to accept help when needed, offer a simple and sincere "Thank You", don't be afraid to offer help when you think there might be a need, and don't get offended if someone thinks you might need help.

@Lobzilla Thanks for the tank demystification!

Proper risk managements has two components.

Estimating the probability of a problem/failure AND understanding the consequences of that problem/failure.

Having another competent diver set-up your gear has a fairly low probability of failure but the consequences could be grave. Therefore, its a good idea to not blindly accept this risk but to either do it yourself or double check what the other person did.

What gas is in a cylinder does not influence the probability of it falling or the valve breaking off. But the content dramatically influences the consequences of the fall or the valve breakage.

Try to look at every decision in diving that way. Many people just look at the probability and forget to take the potential consequences into consideration as well.

Back
Top Bottom