Short dive trip from Denver: La Paz or Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

plongeursousmarin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,
I'm planning on taking a short dive trip around Memorial Day and I'm hesitating between Cozumel (would me my 3rd trip - nothing wrong with that I love Cozumel) or Baja, which I'm dying to discover. I've checked flight schedules from Denver and it seems like a hassle compared to getting to COZ, like two stops minimum (LAX and Loreto or something), although price-wise there is not much difference. For accommodations I'm looking for all-inclusive (we have a baby).

Also, would anyone on this board know what the conditions are in the Southern Cortez end of May, especially visibility? And how does the diving work over in Baja? I doubt there's hotel pickup like in Cozumel - in which case it probably would help to book a hotel as close to the dive operation boat's docking pier as possible wouldn't it?
Thanks in advance!

Easier to fly from Denver to Los Cabos (a direct flight via United, if I'm not mistaken) than La Paz. You can then rent a car & drive up to La Paz (it's a pretty smooth road, prob. 2 to 2.5 hrs; just a bit over 100 miles) or down to Cabo (20 miles)

I don't know about La Paz, but in Los Cabos, there are outfitters who will come get you at your hotel & drive you to the shop, then, boat, etc. (Of course, you pay for that...)

Diving in Baja is fairly low key; golf & sportfishing (not to mention selling timeshares) seem to be the bigger sports.

Visibility in May is variable, but still relatively low. For Cabo, think 15-30 ft; probably up to 50 ft in Cabo Pulmo; water in the 60-70 (F) range (5 mm fullsuit). La Paz may be warmer.

For all inclusive, there are a number of resorts between San Jose Del Cabo & Cabo San Lucas (at 5* or more) which are A-I (foodwise, that is). Fiesta Americana, Solaris Club, one of the Melias, etc.

plongeursousmarin:
Hello,
I'm planning on taking a short dive trip around Memorial Day and I'm hesitating between Cozumel (would me my 3rd trip - nothing wrong with that I love Cozumel) or Baja, which I'm dying to discover. I've checked flight schedules from Denver and it seems like a hassle compared to getting to COZ, like two stops minimum (LAX and Loreto or something), although price-wise there is not much difference. For accommodations I'm looking for all-inclusive (we have a baby).

Also, would anyone on this board know what the conditions are in the Southern Cortez end of May, especially visibility? And how does the diving work over in Baja? I doubt there's hotel pickup like in Cozumel - in which case it probably would help to book a hotel as close to the dive operation boat's docking pier as possible wouldn't it?
Thanks in advance!

If you're diving, La Paz in May is a poor choice. It is great if you want the opportunity to snorkel with whale sharks, but visibility is typically under 20 feet because of the plankton. We tried to dive at Los Islotes when we were there on a liveaboard whale shark trip in May of 2001 and it was nearly impossible, even though we knew the site fairly well. Fall and winter are the peak diving seasons in the La Paz region.

Cozumel would probably be your best choice at that time of the year with a baby along (not sure why you would take the baby on a dive trip unless there is no other option?).

For May I would vote Coz and there are plenty of family friendly AI's. What about Roatan for a change of pace? We were in Coz a few weeks ago and are heading to Roatan mid April. Good luck.

This is great info. I kind of knew there was a trick to Baja regarding visibility and plankton season. It sounds like such a great place to dive I can't wait to check it out soon. As far as taking a baby on a dive trip, we don't have a choice: it's either stop diving for a few years or include her somehow in our trips. So far she's been to Cozumel and it's worked out, it's a bit more planning and less adventure on the dive-side (like, no live-aboards, no camping and diving trips in the Sinai, etc...).
Thanks all for the great input.

I have read about mosquitos in Roatan, with a baby, Coz would probably be better. What about the Florida Keys?

SoCalOffshore:
I have read about mosquitos in Roatan, with a baby, Coz would probably be better. What about the Florida Keys?
I dove the Keys a long time ago (1989 I think) and I did not like it. I thought it was expensive, the reefs were shallow and the current strong which made for a pretty hard to get around underwater experience. I dove Key West though, and maybe there are better spots that are deeper (more stability while diving?) and less current.

I have only dived Key West and it was so, so. Although, a friend of mine swears the Keys are great. He says it really depends where in the Keys you dive. I personally love Cozumel, but offerred up the Keys as a change of pace, as requested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom