Shore Snorkeling - Riviera Maya/Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pigletfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I will be staying in Playa del Carmen from February 18th-26th. Unfortunately I am just recovering from a serious illness and can't dive on this trip, but can swim and snorkel as long as I don't have to fight any currents. We'll be renting a car and are happy to drive up and down the coast to find the best snorkel spots -- and also to take the ferry across to Cozumel. How is the snorkeling from shore post-hurricane? Were the shallow reefs wiped out? Any suggestions for good spots? Many thanks!

I have styed in Puerto Morelos a few times. The snorkelers came by the bus-fulls. No joke! Coach buses would pull up all day long, on the street that dead-ends at the beach, next to the hotel Ojo De Auga. They'd take them out a little ways by boat, but it is swimable. I have not snorkeled there, but based on the volume of people bussed in, I would say that is a good spot. Puerto Morelos is North of PDC, it is a great little town.

Great snorkeling post hurricanes!

Try: PaaMul, Akumal, Yal Ku or Xpu Ha.

I strongly suggest you try Yal-Ku lagoon which is near Akumal. It is fed by a freshwater stream and opens to the ocean so one end is very clear fresh water with lots of small colorfull fish and the other end has coral, ocean fish and even sea turtles. There is a small entrance fee and there are bathrooms but not much else so bring water and lunch if you want. It's usually very uncrowded. When I was there a couple of years ago there were 4-5 people besides us there. Much nicer than the touristy Xel-ha IMHO.

When you are done, walk down the road a few minutes to the Que Honda hotel and se the phone there to call for a taxi.

PS you can take the collectivos to the entrance to Akumal and then walk (15 min) to Yal-ku or get a taxi.

The snorkelling in Puerto Morelos is great. We just walked down to the pier and a local guy took us out to the reef, guided a tour, and then invited us to have a few beers and conche ceviche that he and his friends prepared right there on the spot.
$20.00

The snorkelling right off the beach in Akumal is excellent, and free.

Yal ku is excellent, especially if you stay in the sheltered areas, away from ocean waves and currents. There are some massive parrot fish in there. There is a fee at the entrance.

My wife and I stayed in Akumal last year(non-divers then). The snorkeling was great right at the Akumal Caribe where we stayed. Nice reef about a 1/4 mile out, and water clear if the surf/wind isn't up too high. Saw lots of turtles, barracuda and rays. We were there mid-February. Didn't go up to Yal-ku, but did go on a boat trip to the bay north of there (don't recall the name), and the water wasn't as clear, and more fresh coming in, but there were lot's of different fish there too.

Back
Top Bottom