Shore snorkeling recomendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parrothead600

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be on a cruise with my family (wife, daughter & her family, parents, and brother & his family). We will be stopping in Cozumel on Christmas Day. My brother has the idea of hiring a private tour/cab for the day for the whole family. We would have the option to go where we chose.
I am looking for ideas for snorkeling from shore. I have snorkeled @ Chankanaab Park previously, but since we are not booking this with the cruise line, the park admission would be a little pricey for 11 of us. Any recommendations?

The best Cozumel snorkeling by far, IMO, isn't accessible from shore; it's at Colombia Shallows. Snorkeling is pretty good, though, at Playa Corona and The Money Bar. Two other potential problems, though:

Your one day on Cozumel is Christmas Day. That is the single worst day of the year to do what you are suggesting; most Cozumelenos will be taking the day off to spend it with their families. Many businesses will be closed and cabs will be scarce. If you find a taxi van that will accommodate your group (some of them can hold 11), expect to pay dearly for it.

With only the one day on the island you will have to start it by getting off the ship and looking for a cab (or whatever) to arrange your excursion. By the time you get that done (especially since it's Christmas) much of the day will be gone and you will likely be stressed by the experience.

My advice would be to book something with the cruise line for the day; the arrangements will be made for you and you can count on it. If they offer a trip to Punta Morena, that would be a good place to spend a few hours with the family. There is a nice beach, some (though not great) snorkeling, a pool, and a really good restaurant and bar. The whole fried snapper there is superb.

Your one day on Cozumel is Christmas Day. That is the single worst day of the year to do what you are suggesting; most Cozumelenos will be taking the day off to spend it with their families. Many businesses will be closed and cabs will be scarce.
That's the other issue that I was wondering about. I wasn't sure if the local people/ buisnesses treated Christmas Day the same way that we do in the US, or if the Denero would take priority.
As far as finding a cab to accomadate us: My brother wants to arrange for that, well in advance thru a private tour company.
On our last trip to Cozumel, we stayed @ Hotel Cozumel and snorkeled from their beach. My wife & I were happy with the conditions there. However, we are not going to be staying there this time so I doubt that we can use their facilities.
I'll be sure to look into the places that you mentioned.

If you're at the southern cruise ship pier another option, which is walkable, would be Tikila Bar. It's about 4-5 blocks north of the southern pier. I don't know what's going on there Christmas day, but the cruise ships used to bring snorkel excursions there and they may still do so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom