Shore Entries. What not to do.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g1138

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just recalling some entries I saw last weekend at the local training site. Friendly PSA coming your way.

There's no need or even any safety benefit to holding your buddies hands and waddling in sideways with your fins on, while facing each other.

Question your instructors reasoning as to why you're being asked to enter this way.

And on that note, if you do get tumbled. Roll over on your hands and knees and crawl out....or even in if you want to. No one is going to be able to pick you up off your back without ditching your gear.
Also keep that snorkel in your mouth. Deploying a regulator would be better, even an octo would work. If there's sand on the mouth piece, deal with it. It's far better than a mouthful of sandy salt water.
Putting a hand on your mask as the waves crash into you would be a ideal too.

Have fun diving! :giveusahug:

Reaons #23 and 24 why I didn't enjoy Bonair as much those with healthy knees. I did love the diving though. :)

With the rocky shore entries we have here, there have been a variety of fully-geared slips on wet rocks. Thus, always enter in slowly and sure of your footing. BUT keep in the back of your mind an 'escape route' in case you do stumble (e.g., a rock you could balance from, falling into the water safely, falling to a non-sharp area, not falling down a hill, etc.).

People sometimes get hung up on "saving their air".

If conditions are such that a fall is likely (e.g. waves, poor vis, or slippery conditions) put your regulator in your mouth BEFORE your feet hit the water. That way if you fall and your head goes underwater, you're breathing and have time to deal with it calmly. Those few breaths you take off the reg while getting into your fins won't amount to more than a few seconds worth of dive time. Besides, if you're reg's not in your mouth and you fall in the water, a freeflow could cost you more air than you'd have breathed anyway ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Debbie and I do a lot of shore diving, and when possible we gear up in the shallows. If their is surf or surge, we will actually "crawl in" in order to be able to swim as soon as possible. ( and do this on exit as well in rough conditions) I cannot walk in fins, and don't try. I can crawl with them on, or I can carry them into the water and then put them on. Some shore dives can be a giant stride, thank goodness. There is no "right way" to enter. What works for you is what you should do. However, I do recommend regulator in mouth for entry and exit transitions. As NW says, the impact on bottom time is negligible.
DivemasterDennis
Technique for entry i

With the rocky shore entries we have here, there have been a variety of fully-geared slips on wet rocks. Thus, always enter in slowly and sure of your footing. BUT keep in the back of your mind an 'escape route' in case you do stumble (e.g., a rock you could balance from, falling into the water safely, falling to a non-sharp area, not falling down a hill, etc.).

So many sites that would be much easier in sidemount, anyone in Vic teaching sidemount yet!

I'm really not sure the kind of sites he's describing would be better in sidemount. Remember, you have to get the tanks into the water, anyway; and you have to stage them somewhere where they are secure until you come back and put them on. So you're talking two or three trips across the rocks, and needing calm water to stow the cylinders . . . sidemount really isn't the answer to all tank weight/balance issues, especially on land.

Just recalling some entries I saw last weekend at the local training site. Friendly PSA coming your way.

There's no need or even any safety benefit to holding your buddies hands and waddling in sideways with your fins on, while facing each other.

Question your instructors reasoning as to why you're being asked to enter this way.

And on that note, if you do get tumbled. Roll over on your hands and knees and crawl out....or even in if you want to. No one is going to be able to pick you up off your back without ditching your gear.
Also keep that snorkel in your mouth. Deploying a regulator would be better, even an octo would work. If there's sand on the mouth piece, deal with it. It's far better than a mouthful of sandy salt water.
Putting a hand on your mask as the waves crash into you would be a ideal too.

Have fun diving! :giveusahug:

"Thank you for asking me, Mr. Student! I encourage an open mind in diving, and with your question, you are well on the right track to becoming an informed and educated diver."

"For this dive, we are entering through the surf with all our gear on and our regulators in our mouths. The reason for this is that when you get knocked down by a wave, you will only have to swim out to deeper water, because all your gear is on. At this stage in your education, we've seen that a high percentage of students aren't quite used to the effects of surf, and if they aren't wearing everything, they'll lose their new and expensive fins."

"Any more questions?"

<insert feminine voice>

"Yes, Ms. Student, for other surf entries later today or tomorrow, we'll demo and perform alternative methods after we see that you're getting used to these little waves. One method will be walking in and donning our fins after we get into deeper water. We like to expose students to many different techniques, so that they can evaluate future surf entries for the method that works best. Thanks for your question!""

"Okay, if there's no more questions, lets gear up as buddy teams, and meet on the dry sand above the surf line."

All the best, James

I'm really not sure the kind of sites he's describing would be better in sidemount. Remember, you have to get the tanks into the water, anyway; and you have to stage them somewhere where they are secure until you come back and put them on. So you're talking two or three trips across the rocks, and needing calm water to stow the cylinders . . . sidemount really isn't the answer to all tank weight/balance issues, especially on land.

The sites I'm referring to (10 mile point, Daphine island and Henderson point and others) in Victoria have large rocks and big steps (often wet) that would be much easier to navigate without a top heavy tank/tanks on your back and as few times as possible. Yes you could wear your gear BCD and hand carry your regs and tank (no free hand to place on rocks) and then reassemble your gear but it would be easier to wear your sidemount BCD and hand carry your tank/regs set all nice and tidy package.....a couple thousand dives on these sights have given me some insight. SM isn't always the answer, but this case......maybe.

TSandM, you know I'd take a bath in sidemount if I could.....
Lets not jump so quickly on the anti-sidemount scooter shall we....lol.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom