Shore diving vehicle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MOST beaches in Kawii had fresh running water right at the dive spot....

Jim....

What ever you rent just don't leave any valuables in the car. There has been a rash of thefts lately. A couple at Black Sand Beach went snorkeling came back and their beach bag was gone so was their rental car!
I risked my camera and some valuables at times. We were too far from our hotel to do much else. My iPhone was always left in the vehicle too. Credit cards, drivers license, and money, always enjoyed the dives with us.

What I did do to keep our car from getting stolen was to break the metal retainer loop for the key fob, so I could take the car key alone diving, by tying some cave line to the key and a bolt snap, then carrying it in my pocket, like I do with my car key at home. When I got back to the rental place I used one of the zip ties I always carry when traveling to re-attach the key to the key fob. They never said a word at the rental return.

We've been lucky so far that our rental car fob/key has almost always fit into our small OtterBox so we can take it with us diving. I think I've only had to cut one due to size.

Although many sites on Maui will have showers that you can rinse off at, invarably by the time you walk back to your car, your boots always have sand on them. If you keep water in your car, you can rinse that last bit of sand (and any you missed) prior to stowing in your trunk.

We have used just a rental car for shore diving with good effect, packed right to take 2 tanks each for a party of two. Wet stiff in the trunk can get funky, so we try and dry out a little before packing up, but no real problem. Good points on vacuuming the sand, and fabreeze is always a welcome accessory.
DivemasterDennis.

We've been lucky so far that our rental car fob/key has almost always fit into our small OtterBox so we can take it with us diving. I think I've only had to cut one due to size.
Using and Otter Box is gutsy! I know people do it, but they are not designed for more than 100ft and even that is questionable. It is not a matter of if, but when it will flood, just like a camera. Fobs are usually a couple hundred dollars +/- & programing fees.

Might be easy enough to stop at a hardware store and have a key cut to use for a door key...if the hardware store will let you since it will have the rental company info on it.

I always ask Rental outfit for a valet key or a key without chip in it...some have it some don't...if they don't they will cut one for you for extra cost; which I've done. Doubt Hardware Store would cut one for a rental (they shouldn't anyways).

Technically and to be jovial, there's only one answer to this question. A Scooter! They really are the only diving vehicle for shore diving! lol

Using and Otter Box is gutsy! I know people do it, but they are not designed for more than 100ft and even that is questionable. It is not a matter of if, but when it will flood, just like a camera. Fobs are usually a couple hundred dollars +/- & programing fees.

Might be easy enough to stop at a hardware store and have a key cut to use for a door key...if the hardware store will let you since it will have the rental company info on it.

We only take the Otterbox when we're shore diving, so a max of about 40' deep. When we're boat diving the key stays on the boat. Our last rental had the key as part of the fob, so no option but to take it. Guess we've been lucky not to have our box flood.

I'm definitely going to start asking about the valet key option and see if I can avoid the fob for shore diving, thanks for mentioning that Dive CA.

I always had luck hiding the key under a rock or log laying on the ground...

Jim....

I like Peter_C's ideas, similar to what I do myself. Being from L.A. I am just astonished that anyone leaves valuables in a vehicle if it's not really necessary. Here in Hawaii the thought is even crazier. A friend of mine who lives here returned from a short hike to find her vehicle was broken into...they got her wallet and keys among other things. WHO LEAVES THAT STUFF IN A CAR?! The kicker is, her car has broken into multiple times before, and she still hadn't learned! Please take your stuff with you if it's at all feasible. Personally I minimize the risk by taking my driver license, one credit card and a small amount of cash out of my wallet to take with me; the wallet stays at home.
As for keys, you have to have a way to take those with you. Whether it's San Diego or Hawaii there are thieves who watch surfers and divers to see where the keys are being "hidden." A few weeks ago I heard a sad story from a diver who fell victim to this tactic. He returned from his dive to find his whole truck was gone. Even though he had Lo-Jac and the truck was recovered quickly everything of value had been taken.

Back
Top Bottom