Shore Diving Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going to follow the advice of "bring your drivers license and your car keys, they're both waterproof, leave everything else in the hotel room" that I read in another thread. Considering the size of the island I don't think dropping by the hotel will be an inconvenience if we decide we need a bite to eat while still wearing our wetsuits. :D

As far as cameras, I took mine on all my dives in Cozumel last time but only used it on 2, otherwise it just hangs on the BCD, no worries.

I've also heard it's wise to leave the windows rolled down, doors unlocked, etc. Just in case.

Strikes me as odd that they don't have some kind of patrol presence to keep the break-ins to a much lower rate, considering their dependence on scuba divers for the local economy.

We don't even take our driver's license with us when we dive. The island is small enough that if you were stopped for some reason you could always get back to your hotel to get it. We were stopped once as part of a vehicle safety check point and when the officer saw us in wetsuits he accepted that my husband's license was back in the apartment.

We have a little otter box that we use for license, keys, cash when we shore dive. Very convenient to be able to slip it in a pocket and not worry about losing anything. We plan on taking 4 tanks to do 2 dives, then head back to the condo to switch out tanks and eat lunch before grabbing 4 more tanks to do afternoon dives.

................... But after that trip I must refrain from putting any more on the calendar for a while. I was diving in Tortola only four weeks ago, and upon return began planning this adventure. I just hope that the post bonaire withdrawal syndrome isn't too bad :(.

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Sorry, this struck me as really funny because almost every time I have first timers along, about mid week they start talking about "on the next trip". Trust me, PBD is bad.

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Sorry, this struck me as really funny because almost every time I have first timers along, about mid week they start talking about "on the next trip". Trust me, PBD is bad.

Further evidence that I'm in for serious trouble....maybe if I wait to let my wife suggest a second trip it will be easier to sort of spread the blame around when we are compelled to book the next trip. :D

...I just ordered a little waterproof case to put credit cards/cash etc. in for that reason.

Just a word of caution - make sure you keep the case in your BCD pocket. We've had some bad experiences of losing hotel room keys and other items when our otterboxes popped open while surfacing. Not sure if others have had this experience. Probably just stupidity on our part.

Further evidence that I'm in for serious trouble....maybe if I wait to let my wife suggest a second trip it will be easier to sort of spread the blame around when we are compelled to book the next trip. :D

I think you need to let us know exactly how far into the trip it is when one of you says "Next time ..." My husband and I are fortunate enough to be able to make several trips a year to Bonaire and our adult children just laugh and say "There they go again!"

Anyone what to start a pool on what day the words "next trip" are spoken.....I want Wed. :) The old blame the wife trick......works for me...at least some of the time.

Just a word of caution - make sure you keep the case in your BCD pocket. We've had some bad experiences of losing hotel room keys and other items when our otterboxes popped open while surfacing. Not sure if others have had this experience. Probably just stupidity on our part.

Good idea, I put the keys inside a fairly secure box but then attach it inside my BC pocket. Closed, tied in and zipped shut...if it gets out then, I am in bigger trouble than losing keys. The only thing I carry diving are the room and truck keys, a $20 and a CC.

I am definately getting the message that navigation skills are important for shore diving. And having played follow the leader on every previous dive, it will take some getting used to. But I welcome the opportunity, and it does seem like a great way to take our skills to the next level. As far a the nitrox goes, it wouldn't be the end of the world for us if our fatigue level wasn't changed. As pointed out by DiveMaven, decreased nitrogen loading would be a valuable asset as we hope to do multiple dives each day.

I think the number one problem for new divers is the "Follow the Leader" issue.

My words can't improve on the great advice already given, but my image below shows the shore entry conditions at Red Slave. Sites will vary, but this will give a pretty good idea of a typical shore entry in Bonaire.

Typically, I donned my gear plus "surf mocs" instead of dive boots and, with fins in hand, walked across the loose coral rubble and waded through the gaps between low coral heads. While bracing against some mild waves, in only a few steps the water would get deep enough to allow me to lean over and submerge my head and mask to look for clear areas to walk and/or to don fins.

I always use a snorkel, but that's personal preference. I would often finish a long dive with some snorkelling because I loved being in the water! In the north and south ends, the waves occasionally kick up to 2-footers, so I found the snorkel especially handy while scouting the shallow water for a walking path through the coral heads.

Thanks for giving me an excuse to look through some of my 1600 pics from that trip!

Take a bunch of pics, you'll be glad you did!

Enjoy!

A fond image follows. :D

Dave C

Red Slave, Bonaire, 2003
Bonaire_Red_Slave_shore_conditions_ACt_R900_P8011546.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom