Shore Diving Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just ordered the hightly acclaimed BSDME today! I'm looking forward to a preview of the diving options in Bonaire. It seems like such a small world, as I'm anticipating the arrival of my new book and simultaneously reading a posting written by the very author of that book. The internet is a marvelous invention! Thanks again to everyone for all of the advice and comments.

People differ quite a bit in their ability to handle shore entries and exits. My husband and I found that freeing our hands helped a lot with balance and the ability to use each other to keep our footing. We got large caribiners (ex. Workforce Hangalls Jumbo Carabiner - 51121 at The Home Depot) that we hooked fins and mask to our BCD on entry and exit -- fabulous!

I am also fairly worried about your camera. We both took some small spills into the rocks at times on entry and exit even with two hands. Would hate to break the camera! Also with you being so new to diving, remember most photographers make very poor buddies! In Bonaire, it's often just the two of you in the water. Bonaire is the one place my hubby leaves the camera at home and we just concentrate on the great diving.

Enjoy. (We're counting down the days to our return trip -- now 64!)

I just ordered the hightly acclaimed BSDME today! I'm looking forward to a preview of the diving options in Bonaire. It seems like such a small world, as I'm anticipating the arrival of my new book and simultaneously reading a posting written by the very author of that book. The internet is a marvelous invention! Thanks again to everyone for all of the advice and comments.

I am enjoying your enthusiasm! When you get your copy of BSDME don't overlook the section that includes tips from the author as she has included lots of valuable information there as well. Did you see the May issue of Sport Diver magazine? In an ariticle about Bonaire the author calls BSDME a "nifty little book." Very true!

Are you counting the days til you leave? I am never happy unless I have my next trip to Bonaire on the calendar!

Where does somebody in Curacao purchase said wonderful BSDME?

The website for BSDME is www.bsdme.info. There are two prices for shipping ... one for within the US (where it is shipped from) and one for outside the US. It is also available at many dive shops in Bonaire as well as at Chat and Browse.

People differ quite a bit in their ability to handle shore entries and exits. My husband and I found that freeing our hands helped a lot with balance and the ability to use each other to keep our footing. We got large caribiners (ex. Workforce Hangalls Jumbo Carabiner - 51121 at The Home Depot) that we hooked fins and mask to our BCD on entry and exit -- fabulous!

I am also fairly worried about your camera. We both took some small spills into the rocks at times on entry and exit even with two hands. Would hate to break the camera! Also with you being so new to diving, remember most photographers make very poor buddies! In Bonaire, it's often just the two of you in the water. Bonaire is the one place my hubby leaves the camera at home and we just concentrate on the great diving.

Enjoy. (We're counting down the days to our return trip -- now 64!)

Points well taken. I like your suggestion of the caribiners. Also, I plan to approach the camera issue in a cautious and pragmatic way. I will feel the situation out and decide if/when I bring the camera as conditions permit. My primary concern is being a good buddy, and you can be sure that my wife will let me know if I'm not doing just that. Secondarily, I don't want to harm my rig. In either case my goal is safety and fun in that order.

My wife and I are noobs as well, and one thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is how easy it is to "pick up" other divers at the docks of the resorts. We stayed at Den Laman and did a lot of dives of the house reef (Bari reef), and we met some people to tag along with right away. Like others have said, once you've done it a few times, you get the hang of it. Heck, we didn't even have a compass.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is to not leave anything in your car. You'll see lots of threads about it, and I'm sure you've probably seen them already. So don't leave your camera in your car if you decide the conditions aren't good for you to bring your camera on your dive with you.

You'll have a blast. We thoroughly enjoyed our first trip there last year and we're headed back in June - can't wait!

I am enjoying your enthusiasm! When you get your copy of BSDME don't overlook the section that includes tips from the author as she has included lots of valuable information there as well. Did you see the May issue of Sport Diver magazine? In an ariticle about Bonaire the author calls BSDME a "nifty little book." Very true!

Are you counting the days til you leave? I am never happy unless I have my next trip to Bonaire on the calendar!

I'll be sure to check out the tips section from the author; thanks for the tip! And as for the count down - 21 days to go before my first day of diving in Bonaire! But after that trip I must refrain from putting any more on the calendar for a while. I was diving in Tortola only four weeks ago, and upon return began planning this adventure. I just hope that the post bonaire withdrawal syndrome isn't too bad :(.

My wife and I are noobs as well, and one thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is how easy it is to "pick up" other divers at the docks of the resorts. We stayed at Den Laman and did a lot of dives of the house reef (Bari reef), and we met some people to tag along with right away. Like others have said, once you've done it a few times, you get the hang of it. Heck, we didn't even have a compass.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is to not leave anything in your car. You'll see lots of threads about it, and I'm sure you've probably seen them already. So don't leave your camera in your car if you decide the conditions aren't good for you to bring your camera on your dive with you.

You'll have a blast. We thoroughly enjoyed our first trip there last year and we're headed back in June - can't wait!

I am definately hoping to meet people and possibly do some dives together. It is always fun meeting people on vacation, especially since in this case we will share an interest in SCUBA. Good point about not leaving the camera in the car. I'll have to plan on either using it or not for any given trip; not bring it and then decide to leave it behind. I have read the cautions about leaving valuables in cars. I just ordered a little waterproof case to put credit cards/cash etc. in for that reason.

I'm going to follow the advice of "bring your drivers license and your car keys, they're both waterproof, leave everything else in the hotel room" that I read in another thread. Considering the size of the island I don't think dropping by the hotel will be an inconvenience if we decide we need a bite to eat while still wearing our wetsuits. :D

As far as cameras, I took mine on all my dives in Cozumel last time but only used it on 2, otherwise it just hangs on the BCD, no worries.

I've also heard it's wise to leave the windows rolled down, doors unlocked, etc. Just in case.

Strikes me as odd that they don't have some kind of patrol presence to keep the break-ins to a much lower rate, considering their dependence on scuba divers for the local economy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom