Shore Diving North/Central Florida Coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

milkmood

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok, since there seems to be no scuba divers in Savannah, how about some good shore dive sites on the north to central Florida coast? Can you dive in the lagoons?

Visiting from Arizona next weekend and would love to get some dives logged in FL.

Anyone willing to show me around be an hospitable dive buddy ?

Guess there's no good diving in Georgia or north Florida. Guess I'll leave my gear home.

There are usually:

20 "Tell me about Panama City shore dives",
15 "Tell me about Destin shore dives" and
10 "Tell me about Ft. Pickens shore dives"

threads here every twelve months. Without being more specific, people don't know whether to tell you about "shore" diving a freshwater spring in Holmes County, shore diving the beach in Jacksonville, or shore diving a jetty in Destin.

In addition to the Jetties at St. Andrews State Park, in Panama City, Florida, there's also:

Ft. Pickens Jetty

Alabama Point Jetty

Destin Jetty

Hope these help point you in the right direction.

-h

That's why I'm asking. Because I don't know. I'm visiting from Arizona starting tomorrow. ANY local help would be great.

I'm staying in Savannah, but am willing to go as far south as Cape Canaveral. I asked about Gray's Reef in another thread with zero response.

I'm on a budget on this trip, so a charter is out.

What I need most is somebody local to buddy up with for some shore dives; would be much appreciated. I really don't care where. Most of my diving experience is in fresh water, so I'd be fine with what you might consider boring.

I'd be willing to check out a spring too, if there's no overhead stuff.

Hetland is trying to get some more information from you. This time of the year, if, for example you are in Pensacola, you do not want to be driving over to Panama City to dive (traffic really sucks).

So:

1. Where are you going to be?

2. What sort of diving do you like? (fresh water, saltwater, easy, hard... really hard..

For example, Destin has a very nice dive, if you are diving just before peak high tide, but the Jetties are a pretty good walk thru soft sand, and if you are doing it in the middle of the day, some people would not like the extra exersize.

I'm really open to almost anything, honestly.

I have an AOW cert from PADI...working on my Rescue.
I obviously prefer good viz, don't we all.
I live in a landlocked state, so saltwater dives would be preferred, but I'm open to springs too with no overhead. Jettys are sounding good to me.
Warmer water would be good...won't be bringing a wetsuit...and I'm very cold tolerant. Dive in 65 degree water all the time.

I live in the Jax area, and there is no shore diving worth the gas. I honestly dont know of any within several hundred miles. Damn shame with all the ocean all around. So I have evolved to be a freshy. Some of the best spring dives in the U.S are in North central Florida. Ginnie springs, Troy Springs, Orange Grove sink, Devils Den and Blue Grotto come to mind, also Rainbow River in Dunellon. I did tire of the springs finally and got cave certified. The skys the limit now. Good Luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom