Shore Diving Info for Venice Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I'm going to Venice Beach the July 4th weekend to do some toothin' and catch the great fireworks display off the jetty. We went out with Florida West last year and had some great dives. This year we are trying some shore diving. Any advice about good places for shore diving would be greatly appreciated. Is most of the diving here shallow? Last year our max depth was 25ft. I'm really looking forward to getting back to Venice. Found a nice 4.5 inch Meg tooth last year and over a hundred smaller teeth. Thanks

Head to Venice on I 75. Take exit 193 and head SW (coming from the south that’s a left turn) on Jacaranda. Turn right on Venice Ave. Stay on Venice Ave until after you’ve crossed the bridge to the downtown area. Turn left at the second light after the bridge (Harbor - name not well marked). Turn right at the 5th street (Alhambra).

From the north:

Head to Venice on I 75. Take exit 200 (SR681) and follow it to US 41 where you'll turn left (south). Take US 41 to Business US 41 (Tamiami Trail) where you turn right. After you cross the bridge, you'll turn right on Venice Ave. Turn left at the first light (Harbor - name not marked). Turn right at the 5th street (Alhambra).

Park on the street as close to the dead end as possible. Be careful not to block the driveway to the condo. Keep your dive between the culverts to the south and the three pine trees to the north.

These directions were copied & pasted from a thread on a Venice dive get together that took place yesterday. Although I know that there are other spots along Venice that produce teeth from a shore dive, I don't know where or how good they are. Occasionally this site turns up some big ones, sometimes you come back with a half dozen baby teeth. As far as I know, my non-diving wife was the star yesterday with a 2"tooth that she found in a shel pile on the beach. I still love her anyway.

Maybe a local such as ReefGuy could chime in on other sites?

Thanks scubafool. We'll give it a try. We've heard from a friend that Golden Beach is a good spot too. We like to venture out on discovery dives but it never hurts to get the opinion of those who regularly dive the area. We've been fossil diving for a few years so we know somtimes you hit the honey pot and sometimes you come home with with little more than fond memories. The hunt is the fun part! Eating Grouper at Sharkey's is almost worth the drive down alone. Congrats to your wife on her find.

I've never dived Venice Beach with better than 3 ft viz. One day, I'll get good viz, maybe 6 ft. Have fun, find a Meg.

moi?! I dare say that my additional clouding may take the vis to less than 12", but I have had the pleasure to be out at venice on days with unlimited vizibility :D

scubafool:
Yeah, Colin, thanks to you & I. LOL.
LOL!!
Now I know who'all is to blame.
And I thought it was the work being done on the pier.
Foolish me.
So stop it you two.:wink:

Chuck

Hey, thanks guys! I have heard the vis can be dismal. We had 15 ft. last year so guess we were spoiled. I'll the take three feet. Will be a pleasure over blackwater diving (no vis and rip roaring current) in the Cooper River in Charleston. I'm ready!
Has it been storming daily there for the past 2 weeks like in Atlanta? Hoping to Shed some of the algae that is starting to grow on us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom