Shore Diving in Miami Beach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fel

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I will be on Miami Beach Nov. 19-23 and plan to do a morning escape from my conference to do a shore dive (probably on Friday 21). Does anybody know about good places to dive VERY CLOSE to Miami Beach?

Felipe.

In Miami you will have to go out with one of the diving charter companies and any one of the dive shops can arrange this for you. There are a few on this link located in Miami Beach/South Beach:

http://www.miamiwreckdiving.com/diving_miami.html

and some info on a few of the sites:

http://www.divecharters.com/monitor.asp?id=13

As far as shore diving, Miami Beach is not the place. It's a rather long swim to get into 20 feet of water and there is nothing to see but sand. All the wrecks and anything worthwhile looking at can only be accessed by boat. All the good shore diving is located roughly between Hollywood and Pompano with the reefs approx 200 yards out.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks, it does help, I was thinking of saving a few bucks by shore diving. But, since I will have spent $ to get to Miami Beach anyway, I might as well do a boat dive! :wink:

fel once bubbled... Thanks, it does help, I was thinking of saving a few bucks by shore diving. But, since I will have spent $ to get to Miami Beach anyway, I might as well do a boat dive! :wink:
If shore conditions are good, you might as well take advantage and save some money. Yes, the deeper reefs are nice and wrecks are cool the fist couple times you're on them, but for the money our shore diving is very good, and some might even argue better.

FYI, the drill is to park (by 9AM or so is a good time), gear up, walk out, kick to the first bouys, drop down, and move slowly to the western edge - there is a lot of life in the rubble if you take the time to look, particularly brown eels, octopus, etc.. Once you hit the "real" western edge of the reef, hang out a while north-south because in places its better than you'll find farther out.

Let us know where you're going and we can tell you more about the local reef structure so you don't waste your time looking for the best spots.

The key to local reef diving is to find a spot and then move slowly. Look at the details - otherwise you'll pass right over an octopus garden or one of our little eels. I've watched people go right over 7' nurse sharks, and I can only imagine what I've missed right in front of me! I think the problem I had with reef diving at first was that I "flew" over it expecting to find great things just ahead.

Sorry about the delay here...

I will be there this Friday. What would be the best places to do a shore dive close to Miami Beach (I would have only a morning off my conference)?

Well if you were diving on Sunday morning I'd invite you to ride up to Commercial Pier with me. About a half hour drive from Miami. Great shore dive though.

I am flying back that afternoon...and I know people are supposed to be working Friday mornings :rolleyes:

The only other time I could go is Saturday after 2 pm. I got stuck having an exam this saturday :upset:

Even though it was calm this morning, we're supposed to get more wind. Since it will be out of the southwest, it may not effect shore diving, however.

BUT, divers in this morning came out within 10 minutes because they couldn't see their hands in front of their mask.

I guarantee, though, that if it's reasonably clear I'll be diving this Friday, Saturday AND Sunday lol... I have a lot of nitrox to catch up with.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom