Shore diving in Grand Cayman??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NightRaven77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi yall....

Anyone know if there is any shore diving at the Hyatt??? My girlfried doesnt dive and while she is sunning on the beach Id like to shore dive......

Anyone know of any high end hotels that have shore diving??

NightRaven77 :crafty:

I'd bet the answer is "no". The Hyatt is on 7 mile isn't it? Sandy beach = poor shore diving or snorkeling.

No shore diving at the Hyatt. The nicest hotel with shore diving has to be Cobalt Coast.

I did a bunch at Cobalt Coast and Sun Set House.

Using sidemount 80's I could easily swim to the wall bounce down to around 200 and slowley do a nice swim dive back looking at fish to run out my decompression. It was great.

Tip: When you cross the wide sand flats, drag your hand through the sand to make a path for the return trip. This way you will come right back to the dock.

Hey-

When I did the aggressor down there a couple of years ago..there was one dive location just off of 7mile..it was an interesting dive...believe it was part of their marine park...there was brass plaque there and all..that was the only diving there..depth went to about 70'..swim from shore was not too bad..that I recollect....

Hope it helps..but I would say 7 mile is not known for its shore diving...

-B

Hi Curt,
Not sure I like your advice on navigation!
There are plenty of fish, eels, shrimp, worms and other critters that make their homes in the sand here in Grand Cayman and dragging your hand through their habitats is not the most environmentally friendly way to find your way home (besides being illegal here!).
Please make a small investment in a compass for all your future navigational needs!

Happy deco!

CJ.

CJ's:
Hi Curt,
There are plenty of fish, eels, shrimp, worms and other critters that make their homes in the sand here in Grand Cayman and dragging your hand through their habitats is not the most environmentally friendly way to find your way home (besides being illegal here!).
Please make a small investment in a compass for all your future navigational needs!

Happy deco!

CJ.

That is a great piece of advice. Perhaps a course in underwater navigation to go with it too.

Don't know about shore diving at the Hyatt. Assume that it is limited due to the sandy beach offshore. Have done numerous shore dives at DiveTech locations.....both Cobalt Coast and Turtle Farm. Both are pretty nice. Turtle farm is closer to Hyatt, but not by much....if you are willing to taxi up there. Check out the DiveTech site for more information.

Suggestion.....take your girlfriend along as an excursion. With a shore dive you won't be out too long and she can lounge in the restaurant/bar at either location, or visit the Turtle Farm itself while you are out having a good time.

Enjoy!

CJ's:
Hi Curt,

Happy deco!

CJ.

Never saw a scuba police the whole dive?

I've done a lot of shore diving on Grand Caymen. It is great because all the dive sites are marked with a bouy. There is little to no current. And your natural profile as you swim back to shore is your decompression/safety stop. It is a lot cheaper than the boat trips $85 vs $15 and you are not limited to 100 feet, you can actually use all your air with out a dive master banging his tank for you to come up with 15oo psi, and you can do the North shore as much as you want. With that said, the dive sites are a long surface swim out from the beaches. A good book is called "The Dive Sites of Cayman Islands" it tells you about a lot of the sites. The easiest places to access from shore would be the Turtle Farm - rent tanks and scooters on the spot (scooters are fun if you have never tried them). There is a large school of Tarpon in a cave on this dive. The other is called Eden Rock (I think). There is a dive shop right on site also. This is a good night dive or second dive. They have lights and a place to rinse your gear. You won't get out to the big wall though at this site. Otherwise there is a nice site by a beach, I think it is called Eagle Ray pass. On the North end, there is an empty lot on the beach ust to the right after you cut accross the island. From the beach there are some breaking waves but nothing too bad. The dive site is called Babylon. It is awesome. Well woth the swim.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom