Shore diving from Panama City...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whiskey Wreck is in Gulf Shores, AL.

I usually line up with the sign on the restraunt and swim out, its more like 150m and its only about 13' deep at the moment. It'll be deeper later this year, it varies :wink:

http://www.suprbugman.com/gallery/album14 --thats what it looked like May of this year... well sorta, the camera isn't that great...

Jetties are real cool off PC< but be sure to hit high tide. Also, skip vortex and go to Morrison Spring instead. Its nicer and free. If you liek canoeing, go to cypress spring too.

jviehe:
Jetties are real cool off PC< but be sure to hit high tide. Also, skip vortex and go to Morrison Spring instead. Its nicer and free. If you liek canoeing, go to cypress spring too.
hey cool thanks for that.
I have never heard of Morrison but i have only gone to PC and Perdido Key.
where is it in relation to Mexico Beach?
Sincerely
Bridget

Morrison is 15 mins south of vortex on the same road. Cypress is east of there another 20mins.

Morrison springs flood out really easy. Vortex is allways clear. Both good places to dive. You really have to be watching for the sign to Morrison, or you will miss the turn.

Desa:
Morrison springs flood out really easy. Vortex is allways clear. Both good places to dive. You really have to be watching for the sign to Morrison, or you will miss the turn.

I've been to Morrison years ago. I plan on going back, but my reason for choosing Vortex this go round was my dive buddy's son is 11, and newly certified. I thought it would be a simple dive that he'd enjoy. We also want to be able to camp, which Vortex offers.

Another question while I am at it. When I went to Vortex in the late 80's, we went all the way back into the cave to the steel grating with the stop sign, about 300 ft. Lately I've been reading about cave and cavern certifications. Are either required at Vortex if you only go up to the steel grate and not beyond it?

I've emailed vortex but haven't gotten a response yet.

Next, should I want to pursue a cavern/cave cert, who in the panhandle would you guys recommend for classes? Do they have weekend classes?

Thanks!

There is no "cave cop" sitting on a stool by the cavern/cave - just the sign.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom