shore diving Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, don't know how to advise you. worse case get in touch with Dive shop you are using in Curacao. Was there november 2010, no mention and observed no one using them but have subsequently found out that its required by the authorities. you can search this board for more info.

Technically they are required, though we and many other divers we observed did not use them in Westpunt. Ocean Encounters West (now Go West) Had them available if one was desired. As stated above check with your dive shop

Don't think the question was use but if they are required. different...
never used them or thought of it till I read it on this board.

As everyone said...they are technically required but I have rarely seen anyone use one. I am not sure most dive ops even knew this until some divers were stopped or warned or something by some Curacao Coast Guard people a couple years ago. I don't know if anyone has actually seen the written law so I don't know what it says. I don't know if a flag is required for the entire dive or only at shallow depths, etc.

Edit to add: I am sure SOMEONE has seen the law. No one I know has seen it.

ask Brian at former ocean west now dive west or something... he knows. its documented here --you could do a search for it if interested.

As everyone said...they are technically required but I have rarely seen anyone use one. I am not sure most dive ops even knew this until some divers were stopped or warned or something by some Curacao Coast Guard people a couple years ago. I don't know if anyone has actually seen the written law so I don't know what it says. I don't know if a flag is required for the entire dive or only at shallow depths, etc.

Edit to add: I am sure SOMEONE has seen the law. No one I know has seen it.

There is a written law about it and it's obligatory for the whole dive. If you're interested just let me know I'll send it to you.
But everybody is responsible for his or her own safety. If you decide to dive whitout and something happens you're always wrong without the flag.
That's why safety wise our guides are obligated to take the flag on the tour.

I believe this is a difference between Curacao and Bonaire. Can someone who knows for sure chime in? Never heard of this on Bonaire and I believe boats unless in a harbor area are not suppose to enter shallow water where divers could be present. again appreciate any "real" clarification about this as I am certainly no expert.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom