Shore diving Big Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bkpix

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Forgive me if this is one of those redundant posts, but a search brought me no answers.

I am going to the Big Island for the first time and want to do shore dives. Any suggestions?

We loved going to Place of Refuge. Good parking (fee) and easy access. Get there early to see the sleeping turtles, do not disturb, lots of fish here too. You will also need a dive flag with you otherwise you could be fined.
Picnic area for after dive snack. Great place.

We are here now and leaving for Maui tomorrow. We had three AMAZING shore dives up at Puako. We met a guy that runs a new little operation called Dive Puako. He knows the area like the back of his hand (he lives there so it's really his back yard). Sweet guy, tons of fun, and will provide tanks/weights and gear if you need it. He knows the ins and outs (literally) and even though you could dive this area by yourself, the modest fee he charges is well worth the guided tour and added safety of being with someone who knows the dive sites so well. I am NOT associated with Jackson in any way, just a fan of what he does, and hope his enterprise takes off!!

A++++++

Dive Puako HAWAII

Back
Top Bottom