Shore diving at Lighthouse Point (video)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It’s a great shore dive site - you can go right, left, out to the main wall or a combination of all of that with a scooter! We saw 5 different (and large) Hawksbill turtles on a single dive there last summer! You can also easily combine a dive there with a dive at Macabbuca or Cobalt Coast and be done before lunch!

Here’s another Lighthouse Point “no-go” from Irma passing to the north last September:
And just up the coast at Macabuca the same day:

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Our reservations staff made an interesting observation regarding shore diving here in Grand Cayman. It seems that many people who have never been here before saw shore diving as something inferior to boat diving, and were unfamiliar that the shore sites are the same main wall and mini wall sections that the boats will take you to.

So we made this (admittedly self-promoting) video short for those unfamiliar with the shore diving at Lighthouse Point. Take a look and let us know what you think.

Tony

The OP is exaggerating a fair bit. Shore dives on GC are excellent but the walls are a long way out and most of the shore dive sites have gradual sloping walls as opposed to the dramatic verticals at many of the boat dive sites. The exception is Babylon, but unsupported and a very long swim from shore. The shallow shore dives certainly are comparable to the shallow boat dives.

We often supplement boat diving in the AM with shore dives in the PM, but the wall at Lighthouse, Sunset, Turtle Reef, or Cobalt, IMO, does not compare to the dramatic drop offs at West sites such as Orange Canyon, NW Point or any of the North or East walls.

The OP is exaggerating a fair bit. Shore dives on GC are excellent but the walls are a long way out and most of the shore dive sites have gradual sloping walls as opposed to the dramatic verticals at many of the boat dive sites. The exception is Babylon, but unsupported and a very long swim from shore. The shallow shore dives certainly are comparable to the shallow boat dives.

We often supplement boat diving in the AM with shore dives in the PM, but the wall at Lighthouse, Sunset, Turtle Reef, or Cobalt, IMO, does not compare to the dramatic drop offs at West sites such as Orange Canyon, NW Point or any of the North or East walls.

I'm curious in what way do you think we are exaggerating? This video is to illustrate the features of the Lighthouse Point location, where we are located, not all shore dives in Grand Cayman, and at this location, the main wall is about 600 feet from the dock. Easily swimmable from shore.

I will extend to you, an open invitation for a guided shore dive at Lighthouse Point the next time you are here. I can show you a spot on the LHP main wall that is a leisurely 12 minutes from the dock, that features amazing sheer drop offs, swim-throughs, massive canyons, and barrel sponges you could park your car in. Give us a ring, and ask for Tony the next time you're here and I'll set it up.

Tony

@Divetech Cayman , are there times of the year that the Lighthouse Point Shore Dive is more likely to be unavailable due to wind/weather? Does your shop provide a go/no go advisory?
We are lucky enough to be on the point where wind doesn't affect us as much as other sites. In 3 years of being here, I'd estimate the shore site is open 330 days of the year.

Storms that pass south/west of the island tend to cause very rough weather on our side, as the pictures other have posted can attest to. But this isn't common.

The biggest variable is current. The wintertime tends to have no current. The summertime can be dead calm, to moderate current. Even with strong current, the site is diveable, and the staff can tell you the best ways of navigating the site during high current periods.

Tony

It’s a great shore dive site - you can go right, left, out to the main wall or a combination of all of that with a scooter! We saw 5 different (and large) Hawksbill turtles on a single dive there last summer! You can also easily combine a dive there with a dive at Macabbuca or Cobalt Coast and be done before lunch!
One of my favorite dives, is scootering from Lighthouse Point to Macabuca and back. Takes about 20-25 minutes each way.

Also the West Bay Express going towards Bonnies Arch is very fun as well. It's a one-way scooter trip where the dive boat follows above you for the ride back. You see sections of the mini wall that no one ever sees which have lots of cool features. We have contests to see what the furthest distance a team can make it, and so far the record is the Kittiwake from LHP.

I disagree - LHP, in particular, has a pretty dramatic drop off and topography on the main wall and is not really long swim from shore at all. I also find the mini wall along that whole coast to be awesome - with FAR more marine life than on the deeper walls.

No one (including the OP) is suggesting giving up boat diving on the deep walls - but you are not giving up all that much with shore diving.

I was just on GC two weeks ago and did 7 shore dives and 10 boat dives. To be honest, among our most favorite dives were the shore dives and shallower reef dives. We plan to do even more shore diving on some new “secret” sites we discovered as we only explored a fraction of them this time.

Last edited:
Divetech, You are on with the invitation. My point was that in my experience, the main wall off Lighthouse and Turtle Reef was less dramatic than some of the boat dives I've done on GC. Maybe I have been heading in the wrong direction. There is no question that the shallow dives at your site are absolutely outstanding. Certainly as good or better than any shallow I have done on GC by boat.

I'm ready to have my opinion changed when there again in December.

Did that dude jump in without his reg in his mouth?

Divetech, You are on with the invitation. My point was that in my experience, the main wall off Lighthouse and Turtle Reef was less dramatic than some of the boat dives I've done on GC. Maybe I have been heading in the wrong direction. There is no question that the shallow dives at your site are absolutely outstanding. Certainly as good or better than any shallow I have done on GC by boat.

I'm ready to have my opinion changed when there again in December.

No need for a boat to access excellent near vertical main wall diving! Although it does give you more options.

Start in the pool. Take the heading (if my memory serves me correctly its somewhere between 110* and 135*. if not i'm sure one of the helpful staff can correct me here or on site) to the coral finger. Swim out above the finger around 20-30 ft depth. Drop over the main wall and go right (current permitting) 2-3 passes at desired depth. cross back over to the sand, transit to the inner wall and follow the wall back to your return point for the pool or dock. It will not disappoint. I discovered this on my last trip when we decided to go right after a dive with a strong current coming south that pushed us through our normal left route. I have to say it is hands down my favorite shore dive now. It is much more vertical than following the same start and going left when you drop over the wall. We did the same dive the next 3 dives with the rest of our group. Having a scooter would make this even easier for the tranist over the sand/coral finger but I have no issues going to 130ft and still having plenty of time to play around on the way back. My dive typically l clocks out at around 55-70 minutes returning around 600-800 psi depending on workload/activity level.

As for the inner wall it is great here, lots of critters and coral. I must admit though prefer our shore access just up the road at Coconut Bay. It is the most sheer drop on the inner wall that i have come across if that is what you are searching for.

Back
Top Bottom