Shore diving at Beqa and Volivoli question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darook

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Bula! I will be diving in Fiji in March 5 days at Beqa and a week at Volivoli. Our package includes shore diving at both locations. My question is if it is doable with full foot fins or will I need dive booties? My preference is the full foot as I love my old Cressis and can save a bit of weight. If it is a sand beach entrance or pier I am good with full foots. If it is rugged ironshore then I want my booties. Thanks for any info!

Well Beqa is definitely sandy, but it's got coral rubble and broken shells etc. I prefer booties to avoid the ouchies, but I'm a wuss.

I stayed at Volivoli last year and I didn't do any shore dives. Nobody else was shore diving either. There's mangroves around Volivoli and the area off the dive shop is sandy, might be a muck diving spot but I doubt it or the DM's would have recommended it, but it's certainly not rocky or difficult to enter. Quite shallow, you'd be wading out a bit, but it must get deeper as the Fiji Siren used to park off the beach about 50 metres out.

I did a shore dive from Voli Voli about a year ago. We went a couple of hundred metres up along the shore and back as recommended by the dive shop. Maximum depth was something like 5 metres, vis was about 2 metres. Surprising number of small coral bommies and fish but definitely not a dive to "remember". As far as needing booties, well it was so rocky and shallow I ended up crawling on my hands and knees to the last 50 metres to the shore on the way back to the shop.

You shouldn't need booties to do the shore dive at Beqa. I had full foot fins and had no problem at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom