Shore Diving and Good Website for Buoy/Water Temp Data for Cape Cod Bay...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FaithC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
A friend and I are looking to plan an easy shore dive off East Sandwich Beach in MA. Due to schedules, it's looking like it may no be until Oct 5th. I'm having a difficult time finding good data on ballpark water temps and such. Anyone have a good resource?

Also, if you've done this dive or something nearby, I'd be interested to hear details. This dive is supposed to be something easy as he's had equalization issues the last two times he went diving in the Caribbean, so this is just to get our fins wet. It's also a location mid point from my location in CT and his in ME.

Thanks,
Faith

I use a free app called "Buoy Data" from NOAA. It gives a lot of great data on buoys and tides all over the world. Here's the info for today for the buoy off of Gloucester/Rockport for example:

August 11, 2013 2:04 pm EDT

Wind Direction: S (190°)

Wind Speed: 5.8 knots

Wind Gust: 7.8 knots

Significant Wave Height: 1.6 ft

Dominant Wave Period: 6 sec

Atmospheric Pressure: 29.99 in (1015.6 mb)

Air Temperature: 69.4°F (20.8°C)

Water Temperature: 68.0°F (20.0°C)

Visibility: 1.6 nmi

Really cool site - thanks!!!

I think I use the same. When I go to RI to dive I check out the water temp link on the website for the dive shop in Newport and this is what comes up. NDBC - Station NWPR1

In my experience, the buoy data gives you a good idea what the temp is nearby but it is only approximate and can vary quite abit depending upon how far the buoy is from your dive site, especially in southern new england ny where the gulf stream moves in and out and causes big swings. Also at least in the Newport Jamestown area, on the site you can see the hrly, daily and weekly hx data and it always surprises me how it can very so much (2-4) degrees within a day or two or week or two.

You may want to try one of the Plymouth dive sites, they are a little more interesting and not difficult. Whitehorse beach comes to mind, lots of boulders and marine life

Back
Top Bottom