Shore Dives with no Current ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Once you are on the Island, and you have dove a couple of the above sites, drive around and check out the entries on the rest of them. You will easily find what you need. As for Tori's reef, one day we had huge surge there, got our butt kicked getting in. So what is good one day may not be the next. Even the more difficult entries, such as Karpata, arent that bad if you just take your time. If there is more surge than you like, move on.

This is especially good advice. There is absolutely no reason to take a beating on Bon. If the surf/surge is up, run away from it. If you can't find something to suit, go get in a hammock with a book and a beer.

One easy access site that seems to be seldom mentioned is Bachelor's Beach. Park on top of the cliff, gear up, walk down the stairs onto the beach, then enter over sand. The reef itself curves somewhat like a one sided stadium with a configuration a bit different from normal.

The only places I've had appreciable current are the ends of the island,like Red Slave,White Lsave and up in the Slaaigbai park.
Sometimes there's a small current on the northern sites near the oil tanks, like Oil Slick but not enough to worry about. We usually do Oil Slick as a night dive, since its nice and private, and near the house that we rent, plus its a very easy entry/ exit, which is important for a night dive. We wouldn't do it as a night dive if it had a difficult current. Just be sure to light the exit with a strobe or chemlight.
The dives in the middle of the island, like Pink Beach,Karpata,I've never noticed much current at all.
I would consider hiring a guide if you're a little tentative about some of the shore entries,especially since your girlfriend is a new diver. I would recommend Bas. His email address should be available from the Bonaire forum, I've found it easily a number of times. He could take you to some of the more difficult northern sites or southern sites and help you figure out the entries. There are a few very nice northern sites that are rarely dived that are well worth a visit.

On whats considered the southern dive sites surge will be more of an issue than current.
That being said - it's the ocean and current is possible.
The further south you go the more likely current will be an issue.
For your first trip - I would suggest that you not dive south of the wind surfer (kite surfer's whatever they are!) community.

In five trips to Bonaire I have never had current be an issue on any dive. swim into the minimum current then float back, easy, there are a few sites that you may have to spend a moment thinking about how to get in and out. have fun, the most challenging part of Bonaire is not the diving, it is getting a seat at the resturant you want. I would love a book on what resturants are open at what time on what days.

For a new diver, there are few easier experiences than sliding on gear, climbing down stairs and shore diving a house reef at one of the resorts. The house reefs at Capt Don's Buddy Dive etc. represent some of the best diving on Bonaire, do not require a guide, a truck, lugging gear, ironshore entry, surge, or waves. Further, getting out, rinsing gear, having a fresh water shower certainly beats the experience of shore diving by truck for a newbie. In addition, an intro to night diving later in the week will be much less anxiety provoking if she has dived the same reef repeatedly during the day and is oriented to it.

Heading out by truck and hitting all of the other great sites is something I personally would put off until the next trip down.

Interestingly, I have rarely had trouble with restaurant seating and availability. The little booket that they have at the hotels and airport has a restaurant list with hours, pricing, closed days and what cards they accept. This info is also available on line with menus for some places. Not so terrible sitting at the bar and having a beverage while waiting.

The only place I have had issues with is Pasa Bon where we were told a table would be a few minutes which turned into an hour. Won't be back. The pizza at Rumrunners is better anyhow.

I disagree..spend the first few days on the house reef, but no reason to not get out and see others. There are plenty of sites with easy entries and there really is no lugging gear involved. (except on your back)

You will love it!!

I have only been to Bonaire once(Feb. will be my second visit). Current was never an issue, but there was some surge at White Slave and further south. While some of the sites up north had some steps and large boulders to navigate around, I found entrance and exits to be easier to navigate than the mossy limestone shallow entries and coral rubble of the southern sites. Prior to diving White Slave I read up in my Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy book that specified entry is recommended on the south end of the white huts. Entrance was still challenging with the surge(first moronic activity) accompanied with shallow, shelves of slippery rocks. Upon completing our dive the surge was substantially stronger. I looked for another exit and the area north of the huts looked more appealing with fewer rocks or limestone(second moronic act). BIG mistake! While the coral rubble looked less intimidating, it was at a steep angle downward towards the ocean and impossible to gain any footing purchase with the strong surge pushing me down. I would even dig my fingers into the rubble in order to advance forward. No avail. Chin and cheek got gashed and (3rd moronic act) in a frenzy placed my mask on my forehead. As Murphy's law would dictate, my mask got washed off my head with yet another large wave. Finally I was able to crawl and roll out of the ocean-exhausted.

Lesson learned. As stated above, avoid diving when there is a noticeable surge. Follow the tips and suggestions in the books. If you are uneasy about a dive, don't do it. You will have several choices and options. In retrospect, I do not regret the events which unfolded. Things could have been much worse. I learned many valuable lessons that day. The following days of diving were amazing, low stress but I dearly missed my ice pink Atomic mask. On a whim, my hubby and I decided to return to White Slave and see if it washed ashore. To my amazement it was lying in the coral rubble I fought so hard against. I looked at this site and it was calm, placid and gentle. I still wonder WTH we were thinking diving White Slave that day....

Morecowbells,

During one of our 8 trips to Bonaire we had a similiar situation. We were returning fron the dive and the surge had picked up. We tried walking out anyway with our fins in our hands. We both got knocked down due to the surge, I was able to get up but wasn't able to help Pam much due to having my BC and tank still on. There was nothing we could do against the surge, we were being pushed in and then out, couldn't believe the strength of the surge and her head was getting close to some rocks when the surge pushed us in. Finally with the last bit of energy I had left I was able to get her back on her feet and were able to get out. We discussed it and decided that next time this happened we should remove our BCs with air it them and float them into shore rather than trying to walk out with them on.

Let me put in a plug for floating your BC in or out. Especially for the shorter amongst us where a big step up can be a challenge. Take your BC off, fold your regs up so no dangling and float it in. Once you are on secure footing you can pull it ashore.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom