Shore dives on Padre Island Nat'l Seashore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

got2av8

Reaction score
According to friend-of-a-friend rumors (the most reliable sort!), there are a couple of fairly shallow wreck dives that can be accomplished from remote portions of the Padre Island National Seashore. Internet searches haven't turned up anything to verify these claims, and if it sounds too good to be true.... Before I give up though, I thought I might come out of lurk mode and ask around in here.

Anybody want to confirm or deny?

I am not sure about how good the dives are but yes there are some wrecks along SPI. I don't know much about them or if you would even be able to see anything cause they are a few 100 years old and most likely covered. I have also been told that the Mansfield Jettys can be a good dive depending on what the water is like.

The only shore-accessible wreck I'm aware of is the S.S. Nicaragua, but the visibility is atrocious and there's not much left to see anyway. You can almost walk out to it.

7 and a half fathom reef isn't shore accessible, unless you have a little zodiac with you.

The National Seashore isn't really a place for divers. I know one hardcore guy that extensively dove all up and down the north end of the island in the 1970's. He only snorkels the Mansfield jetties now... and in late summer only.

I wouldn't go near the Nic. with SCUBA gear on. I've been all over that thing since I was a child and now as an adult I realize it has become a dangerous hunk of rusty jagged metal sticking out of the surf, covered in fish hooks and leaders usted'.
As Archman mentioned there are some rocks and reefs near shore. I've fished all of them by boat out of Mansfield and thought of diving them but have not yet tried. Would be best to go in flat calm conditions with little or no current.

Here's some 'approximate' coordinates for a few possibilities but you'll need to get a current NOAA chart or ask a charter captain for exact location.

9 fathom rocks, about 2.5 miles off the beach. 26' 58 N-97'18 W.
10 fathom wreck and 15 fathom rocks(the 30/30's). Large area of structure about 5 or 6 miles off the beach. 26' 47 N-97' 09 W.

South of the channel off South Padre Island is Big and Little Seabree. This is a massive area or rocks and at least one Liberty ship. I would contact a SCUBA outfitter out of Padre for this one. If it's worth diving they will know.

Years ago (decades ago) I used to dive the Mustang Island area, spearfishing. No wrecks... I do remember the Nic down south but never dove it.
In my experience there was nearly always a substantial longshore current running south to north on these barrier Islands (Padre/Mustang/St Joe) and it wasn't a bad idea to take two vehicles, leaving one a couple miles north :) ('course you couldn't take any vehicles at all on St Joe so just be prepared for a long walk back to the ferry)
Visibility was rarely workable and always a long swim from shore to anything worthwhile vis and fish wise. The jetties at Port A can be an ok dive, but keep a keen eye out for ships as they can create some monstrous currents as they pass, even on the outside.
Rick

Thanks for the feedback. I figured if there were any good shore dives down there I would have heard about them by now, but it never hurts to ask. American Diving looks like an interesting possibility for later in the summer, thanks for the tip/recommendation, Chairman.

Back
Top Bottom