Shore dive sites on Nantucket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
A friend and I are going out there for a weekend. Was wondering if anybody knows of any shore dive sites there? An easy little site would be perfect.

I've spent short summers at Nantucket - (aside from never finding someone with a boat) did not find much in the way of a shore dive. There's a lot of sand out there. I did manage to get in a fair amount of snorkeling among the eel grass beds. Scallops, pipefish, etc abound. This can be endless fun.

There's was a tourist shop in town (probably still is) which had a compressor. The owner is a complete _______ and is quite happy to scream at people. Employees, as well as customers. Some off eight years ago air fills were going for something $15.00 for an 80 cu. I can't imagine what it is now. That said they were the only game in town.

There are other things which are a lot more fun - and uniquely Nantucket. Cycling out to the different beaches was one. The other was going to the Turtle pond and seeing the giant snapping turtles and blue crabs. A third was the garbage dump where treasure of all kinds were being recycled. There is also teeny little aquarium in town run by the Maria Mitchell museum.

Best,

X

Hey Northatlanticdiver,

There is a unique dive / gift shop on Nantucket The SunkenShip | The Sunken Ship Gift Shop on Nantucket Island
I was on Nantucket last month and stopped in this quaint shop just to check it out you may be able to get some good local info there.

I'm going to Nantucket for a week from landlocked PA. I hate to think of being at the beach and not going diving. Is the general consensus that one needs to go back to the mainland for a decent dive?

Let us know what you find, if anything as far as diving on Nantucket.

Hah! No reports on diving from Nantucket! It's a rough area to go diving as the beaches are exposed and very little infrastructure other than the ripoff shop downtown. If you like diving shallow it's not bad in some areas near the harbor and there is a lot of junk at the bottom to see. If you like snorkeling the eel grass is very nice and you'll see pipefish, scallops and other little beasties scuttling about.

I will say - that Nantucket is a terrific place once the crowds are gone to enjoy quintessential New England. Gardens with hydrangeas, cobbled streets etc. That said there is a disparity between those who have money and those who do not. Also, some friends who are scholars from other countries experienced a fair deal of discrimination on the island. Not very pretty.

Great 50ft wreck dive 5 miles off great point, tons of mussels, strippers, and sea bass! We dive slack and vis can be up to 30 ft. Great seasonal scallop dives. Air fills are $10. Shallow wreck dives on barge and schooner one mile off west jetty.

I had a great time doing a shallow, fun lobster dive with the guys at Sunken Treasue. Basically, I tagged along on a dive they were planning to do, chipped in for gas and got two tanks all for ~$65-85(not sure), which is a bargain for anything on Nantucket. The even threw in a shirt after the dive. They are not set up to sell you a dive or be a high service shop -- which I found a refreshing break from the tourist overkill in town, but if you are ready to throw your gear on the boat and get in, it's a fun morning. The water is warm compared to Cape Ann, the vis was fantastic and there was a lot to see. It was my first time getting a lobster, so of course I loved it.

They aren't trying to sell dives, which made it a matter of timing and luck for me to get on the boat; had I known that I would I have gone in to the shop to make arrangements rather than calling. Everyone was very friendly, safety-minded, and fun to dive with and I'd go with them again in a heartbeat.

Diving and Salvage | The Sunken Ship Gift Store

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom