Shore Crabbin' Spots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lionheart

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Okay.. been lurking for a while and decided to jump into the fray with a question.

I'd love to go out and grab some stoneys, but alas, no boat. Besides Spanish Rocks, are there any other spots from shore where one could find some tasty claws? I'm thinking most of the bridges probably hold some promise. Anybody wanna share?

Love to tag along on a trip if anybody is going out in the next week or two, schedule permitting...

Thanks in advance!

OK. Rule #1 is no bridges. You are not supposed to be diving under the bridges. Its against the law. I believe thats the case anyway. I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will correct me. The only other spot I know of is by the Skyway. Its on the south side but the current rips pretty good through there. I have never done it but I hear its an Advanced dive due to the current. You also have to watch out for boat traffic. Thats the only other spot I know of. Hope it helps. If you go let me know how it turns out.

Thanks for the info. I was looking forward to joining you this morning for that tooth dive. Glad you called it, since the wind looked pretty nasty. Looking forward to the next one!

I'm under the impression that unless it's marked as a fishing bridge, it's legal to dive. Can't really find anything yet online that says otherwise. Anybody else have info on legality and/or wisdom on this?

I read a few stories on diving near the Skyway. Looks pretty intense, for sure between the current, low vis, and large sharks that frequent the area.

All of the Sarasota bridges(Ringling, Bird Key and New Pass) are popular crabbing spots. Try to stick to the slack tides.

At the Stone Crabbing seminar, Chad recommended diving bridges. Furthermore he recommended a crow bar to use as an anchor devise in the rippin currents. Better crabbin is found where the water is moving and the crab can get nutrients easier.

I think the rule of "bridges" is you cant spear under a bridge that allows hook and line fishing. You can crab under them though........Chad has been hooked many times.
Hope this helps!

Just don't surface in the middle of the channel if the bridge height/width permits boat traffic..

Oops. Sorry for the bad info. I knew someone would correct me if I was wrong though. Thanks for getting me straightened out.

I hit a few bridges this past weekend. I had very good results but I will say, the currents were very swift. 4-5 knots with rip tides. Be prepared to swim hard to fight the currents and I shredded a pair of gloves on the pilings. We used a flag as well...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom