Shops that provide North and East end dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1KWIK_69

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I've been just about everywhere from Paradise reef to Maracaibo. For something different this coming trip, I'm hoping to make at least one East side dive and I wouldn't mind making a trip to Barracuda too.

Any suggestions on a dive shop?

I've been just about everywhere from Paradise reef to Maracaibo. For something different this coming trip, I'm hoping to make at least one East side dive and I wouldn't mind making a trip to Barracuda too.

I'm pretty sure that most of the shops that aren't cattle boat ops or who cater mostly to newer divers go to Barracuda, San Juan, and No Name reefs. I know that Blue Angel does. Aldora is the only op I know of that dives the east side, and you have to get lucky with conditions to go there with them.

I'm pretty sure that most of the shops that aren't cattle boat ops or who cater mostly to newer divers go to Barracuda, San Juan, and No Name reefs. I know that Blue Angel does. Aldora is the only op I know of that dives the east side, and you have to get lucky with conditions to go there with them.

Thanks. With only two of us this time, it might be tough getting a ride to the northern reefs because most shops like to do their leave town and head south to pick up other divers along the way rout.

I figured the East side might be tough because of conditions and distance, but it's always been on my to do list. After the awsome dives of our July trip, I'm just looking for something new that won't seem ordinary by comparison. :D

Aldora does what they call the Aldora express one tank one reef(north) and the two newer boat wrecks north of the ferry dock just off airport road. I think it was posted as 35usd.
The current is fast so one tank is good for both if you are not an air hog.

Aldora has boats on the east side. Other dive ops (a select few I think) will go around the east side if conditions to get around the point are optimal. I've done a couple dives over there and would love to do more. Very different then the marine park. I thought it was more like the reefs off the mainland and also some of the reefs I've dived off the east end of Grand Cayman.

Most of the smaller shops will also dive north, but again, conditions usually need to be reasonable for them to go, and I think they have to get permission from the harbormaster if they want to take divers there.

One more thing to remember is that Aldora takes two boats for the east diving and it shows in the cost. But it is not out of line they just have to make up for the other boat and crew.

Dive With Martin will take you to San Juan and Barracuda. They usually only need 4 divers on the boat to make the trip. You would want to contact them ahead of time though in case they want you to do a couple of dives with them first. Not sure about the east side.

Plan your trips for the heart of the Norte season and hope for a storm. Aldora will get you to the east side then without any problem. You will likely be the only guy wishing for the storm though, so keep the rain dance private or you might be attacked by other divers.

Northern dives can be had if you get in a boat with others that want them. DWM and Aldora both took me, I'm quite certain the others would as well if, again, the group is capable and agrees to it. The dive I had the hardest time getting to was the wreck believe it or not. Nobody ever wanted to go, so I had to sign up for AOW with wreck as one of the dives and tell Aldora I would swim from shore if needbe. They got me there.

Just got back from Cozumel a few days ago. We did Barracuda and San Juan with Pepe Scuba.

I heard back from Aldora. They do a 2 tank East side trip complete with transportation and a light lunch for $150 pp.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom