Shop near Alki

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kwbyron

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking at some used tanks and I want to them visual inspected before paying for them(60 for what looks like 2 80's and one shorter one...). I don't want to end up with 3 tanks that won't pass hydro, and I figure if they'll visual, then they would probably hydro too....please correct me if I am wrong. OH! and where in the serial # can I read the manufacture date?

You know, Kevin, I saw a thread that breaks down the imprinted numbers. If I'm not mistaken you'll find an explanation in your OW training book.

If nothing else, jot down the numbers and call your favorite LDS and ask them.

Sea ya!

The fact that tanks pass a viz does not guarantee that they will pass hydro. Viz is a check of corrosion on the surfaces of the tank (internal and external). Hydro is a check of the integrity of the metal of which the tank is made. Five year old tanks can fail hydro, although they pass VIP easily.

There is no shop at Alki any more. There apparently used to be one, but it shut its doors before I began diving last summer.

: ( the clam chowder shop should open up one lol, hmm... I know it's not a guarantee it will pass hydro, but my thought was VIP is cheaper, so if it doesn't I won't even buy them, and then I'm not out the bigger bucks for the hydro(how much is that up here anyways).

Makes perfect sense to have them inspected first. If they don't pass that, you aren't out the money or the time for a hydro.

I can't understand why a dive shop couldn't make it near the Coves. There is a such an incredible stream of divers there . . . I would think you could make it selling forgotten items like gloves and fins, and providing air fills!

Yeah, with good specials:
Cup of chowder and airfill-$10
diveday cheer up: fish n' chips plus replacement strap-$20

The shop that used to be there (Deep Fathom) was doing quite OK ... the problem is that the building was leased, and the owners decided not to renew the lease. Yes, a shop could do quite well on that location ... but leasing a building down there seems to be rather problematic. I think the developers have it "targeted" for end-to-end luxury townhouses.

The couple who ran the shop decided to retire, rather than relocate. A lot of us miss them. Besides being convenient, they were nice people ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
... but leasing a building down there seems to be rather problematic. I think the developers have it "targeted" for end-to-end luxury townhouses.

As an alternative to expensive real-estate...
Float a shop on a barge just offshore and run shuttles in a rowboat. :D
"I'm sorry Sir, you can't go back to shore until you buy something." :eyebrow:

-Ben M.

When I have bought or sold tanks that are near expiring hydro, I buy or sell them on condition that they pass. If the seller does not want to do that then don't buy them. They can look perfect and still fail.

Charles

thanks for the tips...I backed out though... need to save money and hydro/vis would add 115 to the tanks...plus I really want steel, so I think I'll just save for that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom