Shooting During Night Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bflem55

Contributor
Reaction score
I am newer into photography and I use a cannon point and shoot camera with a ikeilite housing. I am planning on doing some night dives next week and I was wondering when I am shooting at night do I take off my red filter and use my cameras flash. Obviously I dont have strobes yet. Any help would be appreciated thank you.

I would take of the filter as it will cause you to lose a certain stop of light. Shoot in Raw, ISO 800 or higher (1600 better, if your camera can handle it). The Raw will allow you to adjust white balance and color alterations with more granular control. If you decide to keep the filter on you should up your flashes output power to help compensate as I am not sure if your camera has TTL.

While I always shoot in raw, I very rarely have to adjust wb for strobe or flash photographs. That would be nearly all night dive photos. While I can understand 800 or higher iso for long exposure (>1/2 sec) non flash photos of comets and northern lights, all my night photos are taken with 200 iso max, often 64 iso.

The following photo and all photos at the linked page are 64 or 100 iso settings;

SharksCoveNight - halemano's Photos | SmugMug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom