Shooting an SMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you clip the double ender around the line and then though one of the holes on the side of the spool, the spool will just hang there. If you unclip it from the side hole, but leave it clipped around the line, you can use it as a handle to take up line as you ascend.

There is a close up showing how the double ender prevents the line unspooling at the end of this video.
SMB Deployment - RAY.MP4 - YouTube

Another reasonably good demo. It should be made clear, however, that in a real-world situation you wouldn't let go of the spool... This was done to demonstrate how the double ender stops the spool from unwinding.

R..

Since when does shooting an SMB during a recreational dive indicate an emergency? I thought it was just to let the boat know where you are in the water when you decide to come up. If I am having a genuine honest-to-goodness emergency, I don't think I will be taking the time to shoot an SMB.

Since when does shooting an SMB during a recreational dive indicate an emergency? I thought it was just to let the boat know where you are in the water when you decide to come up. If I am having a genuine honest-to-goodness emergency, I don't think I will be taking the time to shoot an SMB.

That depends on the dive. If you're in a swift current, you could be a good ways from the boat in a hurry. That would be bad.

In the Maldives we always carry SMBs and use them probably 90% of the time. Diving some outer reefs with strong current I normally deploy from depth as the current can move you pretty far from the reef if you ascend 'normally' ie. not swimming to stay on the reef. Theoretically :) the boat will notice the bag and be able to track it as you drift.

Sometimes multiple groups are ascending at the same time and depending on where you are on the reef, currents here can be moving in quite different directions. This is where a good crew earn their keep.

My current SMB is yellow. It came in handy on some busy sites like South Ari Atoll's Maamigili (crowded whale shark area) as my boat knew it was me. Later when i worked as a videographer, the boat knew to pick me up first (to film guests exiting). In areas with technical divers present, yellow may be misunderstood, so I used a normal red/orange in Sharm el Sheikh.

You can practice SMB deployment in shallow water such as a swimming pool- in fact I recommend it. The videos posted spell it out pretty clearly, keeping the line free from you and be ready to let it go if it somehow birdnests. For this reason I prefer spools to reels, however I use a reel for measuring distances during AOW training. It is difficult to get a fully inflated SMB from a 15' stop. From deeper eg.35', it is a lot easier (Boyle's Law).

If guests here wish to dive unguided, they must demonstrate to us that they can deploy an SMB underwater. Again, the current can really move you if you drift during your safety stop. If you surface out in the ocean swell, you are extremely difficult to spot so the SMB must be deployed while still in proximity to the reef.

As always with diving, the conditions and situation dictate what is the 'best' thing to do. I bless my stars that I don't have to deal with jetskis in my area.

You can practice SMB deployment in shallow water such as a swimming pool- in fact I recommend it. The videos posted spell it out pretty clearly, keeping the line free from you and be ready to let it go if it somehow birdnests. For this reason I prefer spools to reels, however I use a reel for measuring distances during AOW training. It is difficult to get a fully inflated SMB from a 15' stop. From deeper eg.35', it is a lot easier (Boyle's Law).
I second practising in safe waters. It can be quite tricky until you get the hang of it. I taught myself in a local quary over the training platforms.

Just to clarify something, the SMB we are talking about here are the kind that are open ended and can be filled by purging a reg, correct? My first SMB was the more surface oriented kind with the locking tube that you have to blow into by mouth. Those are harder to fill under water , obviously, but i did it once by tying a 30' line to the SMB with fishing weights on the end. I sent it up from 25 fsw, by taking one mighty breath and blowing it up, then released it and let the line run through my hands.

It worked, but it wasnt fully inflated. And without a spool cleaning up the line at the surface was a bit of a pain. Now I have the kind you can purge to fill and a spool.

Is this what is meant by DSMB vs just SMB?

I had my first opportunity to use an SMB recently in Cozumel. After watching that video, I have to ask...

Why did he tie it off with a knot instead of using the double ender clip?

Back
Top Bottom