Shooting an SMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to clarify something, the SMB we are talking about here are the kind that are open ended and can be filled by purging a reg, correct? My first SMB was the more surface oriented kind with the locking tube that you have to blow into by mouth. Those are harder to fill under water , obviously, but i did it once by tying a 30' line to the SMB with fishing weights on the end. I sent it up from 25 fsw, by taking one mighty breath and blowing it up, then released it and let the line run through my hands.

It worked, but it wasnt fully inflated. And without a spool cleaning up the line at the surface was a bit of a pain. Now I have the kind you can purge to fill and a spool.

Is this what is meant by DSMB vs just SMB?

I believe the term "sausage" used for the type intended to be filled and used at the surface. No OPV valve, closed end.

SMB and DSMB are essentially the same (D is for delayed). Since they can be filled at depth, the need an OPV to prevent over expansion when ascending to the surface. The open end makes filling fast and easy under water.

I had my first opportunity to use an SMB recently in Cozumel. After watching that video, I have to ask...

Why did he tie it off with a knot instead of using the double ender clip?

Do you mean to the smb?

Clunky video. As mentioned - don't release the SMB as it'll take off like a rocket at depth. When I do it I have my thumb and finger in a loop/"O" to prevent a breakaway should it kink up. The double ender is "less" reliable than a secure knot to the smb. That said - sometimes I use a double ender when I am using truly clunky gloves and it's not life or death. :) There is always the remote possibility something gets caught in the "ender" trigger and opens up the gate. Never had it happen though.

I was recently drift diving, and my buddy deployed her SMB from about 30 feet on each dive. We then ascended to 15 feet, did the safety stop, and made our way to the surface. The dive boat was nearby each time. But I must admit, I was diving with an awesome dive buddy that trip. :D She made it look effortless.

Yes MrX, I did mean to the SMB. He had the two double enders so I wondered why he didn't just use one of them. But I am sure you are correct, it would be "less" reliable than with a secure knot. Thanks! I have since watched several other videos and see that it is always tied off.

I didn't quite get the part about clipping off the string at the end of the video either. In the few times we've played around with sending up SMBs, keeping the line taut without letting the SMB pull us up required actively managing the line, not clipping anything off. So I'm confused too.

Deploying a SMB is a fun game. :) I learned it mostly from YouTube as well. As you noticed, maintaining your depth while doing it is probably the hardest part (for newbies). Staying horizontal helps with that; otherwise as you flounder about, you'll kick upward without noticing. I had to tug/wave DH back down several times the first time he tried to deploy an SMB. :)

The second hardest part is definitely managing the line. It would help to have three hands, but alas...

DH has an SMB that you inflate with your BCD inflator. I don't have great hand strength, so detaching/attaching the BCD inflator at depth was too difficult for me. So I got one that inflates with your octo instead. Mine is much bigger/bulkier than his though. Pros and cons...

We both added D-rings to our lower tank bands, and clipped our SMBs and reels to those. It keeps them out of the way. They're a little tricky to reach back there, and you can't really clip the SMB on until you take the tank out of the tank holder on the boat, but it's a decent solution.
Dive Rite Fixed D-ring - Northeast Scuba Supply << like that

---------- Post Merged at 12:34 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:32 AM ----------

If you clip the double ender around the line and then though one of the holes on the side of the spool, the spool will just hang there. If you unclip it from the side hole, but leave it clipped around the line, you can use it as a handle to take up line as you ascend.

Hmm, I must try this next time...

At the club - everyone is required to carry a DSMB.

It is a good idea.

It is not used purely for emergency - althought if you have multiple DSMB you can let the boat captain know.

I think (don't quote me on this) yellow is for emergency and red is for just coming up.

In my case, i have only one which is yellow on one side and red on the other, so it is what it is. As long as the captain knows it should not be a big fussy thing

And if boats see it sticking it = the natural thing is to keep some sort of distance from it - even tough it might be just concern over not messing up their precious boat because of an unknown thing sticking out of the surface.

hope that helps.

I carry a SMB on almost all dives, and deploy it when ever I am in a "pick up situation", I teach the skill in AOW and all AOW students get to deploy them from depth and manage it during one or more of our safety stops....

I have never heard of the Red = OK and Yellow meaning something else, infact my SMB's are Red on one side and Yellow on the other. Maybe its a regional thing..

Cheers,
Roger

It all depends on the boat captain. The boats I dive on In the East coast NJ area wants divers to shoot a lift bag if lifting something heavy out of the water or if a diver gets separated from a wreck and is using it to ascend as an up line. Shooting a SMB indicates an emergency and the boat will splash a diver into the water with a bailout tanks to check on the diver.

Just a note on the video. It's better to clip the double enter with the gate facing the inside of the spool to reduce the chance of it accidentally opening up. there are videos on YouTube which demonstrates the correct orientation of the double ender clip.

It is not used purely for emergency - althought if you have multiple DSMB you can let the boat captain know.

I think (don't quote me on this) yellow is for emergency and red is for just coming up.

The choice is yours, just tell the boat captain which colour you are using for what purpose if you are carrying two, and this should be the rule for all divers on your boat, no point in you using a yellow one for emergencies and red for surfacing if all the other divers carry yellow ones.

Back
Top Bottom