"Shoestring is as shoestring does"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great post MStevens. Price is not my first criteria when choosing a dive op. It's fairly low on the list. I want to feel totally comfortable, riding in a boat that has been maintained, with a crew that is safe and legal, knows the reefs and communicates well. Professional comes well before fun on my list. I spend 4-6 weeks a year here have a favorite op that has not let me down. On occasions I have dove with only a few others and with one exception, I have been very happy. None were the cheapest or the most expensive.

I'll offer a voice of dissent, sorta. Life is a risk. Scuba has inherent risks. If minimizing risk were the end-all criteria then I'd sit in the hotel room and read a book rather than explore the island and engage in water activities. I do those things because the I consider the additional risk worth the fun. So I have no problem assuming a marginally added risk to dive with a shoestring operator whom I like and whose company I always enjoy. But it's a matter of degree. How much is the added risk? Some things are too much added risk to bear, like a non-seaworthy boat or defective dive gear. Others are bearable (to me) like lack of storefront or older (working) gear. So in short, I think how much I like someone does play a part (not the only part) in the selection process.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom