"Shoestring is as shoestring does"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mstevens

Toadfish. Splendid is implied but not guaranteed.
Reaction score
In a now-locked thread, the observation was made that "shoestring is as shoestring does". I think this bears thinking about.

It seems certain that the most expensive dive shops in a given location are not necessarily the best, nor that the least expensive are necessarily the worst. However, many of the things that should be important to us as divers cost money. These include equipment, including boats, rental gear, oxygen and other safety equipment, and so on. They also include operating costs such as maintenance, permits, and supplies. Of course there's also staff. This means not only their training, but their experience, their focus on the job at hand, not having to work when sick because there's nobody to cover, and so on.

I select my dive shop on the basis of observation. In the case of the one I use, we followed a DM we came to know and trust to a new shop. That shop has impressed me with their interest in building a good team, attention to details, and not cutting corners. It seems there are at least a few other shops on the island that fit this mold, and I don't think any are particularly inexpensive.

Obviously, many people stick with a dive shop due to charm. They like the owner or DM and keep going back, possibly even after they've raised an eyebrow over some issue but decided to overlook it. My view is that this is a mistake, too. The medical analogy is the superb surgeon who's so obnoxious that anesthesia is the only thing that allows you to stay in the same room as him. Sure, great skills and great personality are a winning combo, but I'll take the skills any day. One DM that I'm always happy to dive with isn't someone I really like very much - his personality on the boat grates on me, possibly since he appears to feel a need to entertain. His dive skills, situational awareness, and preparedness are indisputable, though, so underwater I like him. In addition to shoestring budgets we shouldn't forget about shoestring skills.

Each time someone comes into this section and starts asking about the cheapest dive shop, I cringe. I likewise cringe when a recommendation is made primarily on the basis of someone's being nice or fun. I certainly understand that money is tight everywhere and that people want to dive without going bankrupt. We also want and deserve to have a good time when diving, otherwise why do it? It's a sport with risks, though, and we need to minimize those risks. Price and personality can't be the most important determinants here - dive shops are definitely not fungible.

If it comes down to it, I'd rather dive one day less on a trip, scrimp on accommodations, or delay a trip for a while so I can save, but I'm not going to pick a dive shop based on price. I quite like the team at my favorite dive shop, but if they start cutting corners, I'm outta there. If they need to raise their fees to stay in business and remain safe, that's regrettable but acceptable.

Am I the only one?

Last edited:
Obviously, many people stick with a dive shop due to charm. They like the owner or DM and keep going back, possibly even after they've raised an eyebrow over some issue but decided to overlook it.

You make some very good points. I'm guilty of this although I have not had a chance to dive in Cozumel since my eyebrows were raised. I was still not easy about the sitituation, but I was semi willing to overlook it. Now circumstances, unrelated to my initial uneasiness, have changed and that shop is no longer in the running. I still think the shop personal are great, fun loving people.

Still I am torn about this choice, and torn about who to use now.

Being a new diver cost is something I look at but it's not the only thing. You have to be responsible enough to research any dive op you are looking at diving with. With the internet there a lots of options to get information on a dive shop before you book with them. While I may not go with the cheapest I do want to get the most value from my diving dollars, where the shop is making enough money to pay their employees and maintain there boats and equipment.

Interesting post and something to think about.

I have to agree with you. After diving with a very reputable dive shop for several years I changed to one filled with a bunch of really fun and easy going people who were eager to please and fulfill any request at a discount to boot. I too saw things but overlooked them for after all this was Cozumel - one of the easiest places to dive where all one does is sit on a boat as it flies across a water mass smooth as a lake, backflip over a sturdy panga and after a leisurely drift come back to the surface for fruit on the beach. Yes Cozumel is an amazing place and yes Cozumel can be as easy and idealic as that and yes the people and diving are amazing however at the end of the day it is still diving and along with the wonders that, that holds come the risk of danger to those that would grow complacent. Unfortunately as recent events have shown this is not a theoretical issue but is very practical and real.

Despite what we have seen going on on the Island for the last 6 months or so I remain excited for my next trip but will without a doubt be looking a lot harder at any dive shop as I seek my new (or revisit my first) chosen dive op. I will certainly will not be so quick to overlook or take for granted the actions of a dive shop on the assumption that they must know what they are doing.

Craig

Am I the only one?

Good points. The problem for those unfamiliar with Cozumel (most certainly me), is determining which ops fit your description. A term often used on this forum is "cheerleading". How is a n00b supposed to decide? As far as my re-entry into diving goes, I'm a pretty through researcher, but feel my choice of dive op for my first Coz trip (in 11 days, WooHoo!) was as much intuition and luck, as research. Choosing by price is often an indicator, but no guarantee.
Normally you get no more than what you pay for. Unfortunately you can also get less. This forum is a great resource, but the issue is perplexing.

Last edited:
TomZ you are right. For the most part I do believe that cheering aside there are a couple of ops that really stand out and scuba board is a great resource. I can only suggest that you use SB and then combine that with your own assessment when you are on the Island. If you see something you don't like address it straight away with the DM or owner. Please do note that for practical, legal or safety issues, there are things that are done a littledifferently in Coz that are not necessarily a safety violation or issue.

Craig

Mstevens, that is a great post , I could not agree more.
Ive been going to cozumel to dive for 12 years and have gone through 5 different dive operators before I found the one that best fitted me, some of them were great big operations with big boats and allot of people and some were small 6 packs and most price ranges were with in 5-10 dollors per 2 tank dive, some of them offer soda and fruit between dives and some only water, some would set up your gear for you and some dont. so Its all in what you as the customer want and sometimes you gave to search around to find it.

If it comes down to it, I'd rather dive one day less on a trip, scrimp on accommodations, or delay a trip for a while so I can save, but I'm not going to pick a dive shop based on price. I quite like the team at my favorite dive shop, but if they start cutting corners, I'm outta there. If they need to raise their fees to stay in business and remain safe, that's regrettable but acceptable.

Am I the only one?

There are so many good dive ops in Cozumel that the idea of picking a favorite hardly makes sense to me. Although I wish I could afford to try them all. I use a number of shops when I go depending on where I stay, who is available, and price and service. It is a matter of having some appreciation for the strengths and weaknesses of each (they all have some) and make your decision from there. I have run into a few shops that have disappointed me and it is unlikely any of those will get another try, but they are a minority of the ops I have tried. Price is always a consideration for me.

I think probably 99% of the dive shops are good or they would not be in business.The most important thing in business is building trust and relationships.Over the years I have dove with 5 or 6 different shops all were OK and offered value for the money.I tend to be a diver that doesn't need to be coddled with chocolate cookies and parkas,give me a piece of fruit and water and I am good.I also like a shop that practices safe diving and has proper equipment on board.

I also have to say that price does make a difference as I visit Cozumel 5 to 6 times per year and look for a shop that will honor my requests regarding dive locations and boats up to a point.My dive shop also stores my gear for me between trips that is a big plus for me.My shop is not the cheapest or most expensive but falls somewhere in the middle.What is a great shop for me may not be a great shop for someone else,like I stated before it is all about relationships.

There are many dive op's to choose from. From my perspective I do not need to be entertained, baby sat while diving, or solicited for tips, I know the drill. I'm looking for a safe ride to a dive site, a knowledgable crew, and guide, and a ride back. I respect the reef, know bouyancy control, and try to respect everyone on the boat, no matter what skill level. No one is there to have a bad time. We all have or favorite guides for various reasons. I have been diving with the same op for years, have dove with others, but have my comfort zone. Price as far as dive op's is not that much of an issue, most are in the same price range. I don't choose a dive op based on cost, I choose strickly based on service, safety, and professionalism. I hate to see people arguing over dive sites, in my opinion there all good, it's the caribbean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom