Shipwrecks, Sharks & Seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Had 2 landmark dives with Peter & Lynne today.

Dive 1: Operation Carthaginian ...

We were given the heading to find the Carthaginian from Puamana park (Thank you Halemano and KrisB) Despite a few "blunders" (that I need to work out the wrinkles on for future scooter dives) and equipment losses (Peters poor strobe now at home somewhere between Puamana park and the Carthaginian - if you see it let him know) it turned out to be a sucessful dive. I was in doubles, Peter carried an extra 80cf stage and Lynne ... well she can do a 90 minute dive on a spare air
wink.gif
We scootered for 16 minutes on a heading of 210* from Puamana park (we left from the South end of the parking lot). Because the wreck is "deepish" we stayed at about 40fsw for the trip out. Just when I was starting to think we'd missed it I see this dark "blob" in the distance and within a minute it had resolved into a clear view of the Carthaginian shipwreck. Atlantis Submarine company sank it here 2 years ago, and it's become a nice dive site.

carth1.jpg

carth2.jpg

carth3.jpg

carth4.JPG

Dive 2: Shark Pit

After returning to shore we decided to let the scooters have a rest (they worked hard on that first dive) and we headed off to Shark Pit. Nice dive that begins with a shallow surface swim of a couple hundred yards.

sp0.jpg

Living up to it's name, we were treated to 4 white tips today all 3-5ft.

sp1.jpg

But the real treat of the dive (besides Peter and Lynne being there) came before we even submerged. I heard a snorkler behind me, turning to make sure I didn't run into him I was taken aback to see it was a Monk seal not 4 feet away from me at the surface (we were only in about 3 ft of water at most) He came to check us out, then dove down into the "pit" where we watched him play for nearly 20 minutes. At the surface were 2 spearfishermen who were watching him play as well, though I'm not sure how happy they were when he swam up and stole a fish off their stringer for his dinner.

sp2.jpg

sp3.jpg

sp4.jpg

All in all it was another beautiful day diving on Maui and all I can do is thank God for allowing us as divers to enjoy the beauty and amazing sights that we get to witness first hand.

Aloha, Tim

Awesome!

Good to hear you found the Carth... how's the fish life and coral growth doing? It's been about a year since I was last there...

You can see small amounts of coral growing on it, but it's got a long ways to go - it does appear to be making a nice home for quite a few fish inhabitants however. I can't compare it to it's previous state as this was my first trip there.

I gotta say that Lynne did a spot-on job with navagation. We scootered right into the center of the wreck - very nicely done.

That's great Tim! Just proves the old thing about diving....it just gets better and better!! I have a hand signal for that kind of day...it's called the 'Super~Shaka'!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom