Shipwreck Hunter: Deep, Dark & Deadly in the Great Lakes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoneCrusher

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Just finished reading Shipwreck Hunter: Deep, Dark & Deadly in the Great Lakes and thought I would share my thoughts. Here is a link to the book on Amazon.

Shipwreck Hunter: Deep, Dark & Deadly in the Great Lakes

I really have mixed feelings about the book. It was great to read about Dave Trotter and the wrecks that have been found here in the Great Lakes. However, the book seemed to be a little disjointed. Much of the book was focused on the accident (rapid ascent, major DCS hit) of Danny Fader. What made the read a little strange was that the accident was woven back and forth between historical narratives on finding wrecks and then jumping back to this incident. It almost feels like the author thought he needed this drama to keep the reader interested in the book.

If you are interested in shipwrecks in the Great Lakes, I would recommend the book as it is a quick read. It does contain some interesting insights into the work that Mr. Trotter has done and some of his great finds. Just be ready for all the disjointed story jumps throughout the book.

I read the book one or two years ago and remember feeling the same way. I'm very interested in the Great Lakes in general and obviously diving so for me it was still a worthwhile read. I'm also wondering if Shadow Divers and a few other really well written dive books has spoiled me.

Maybe my expectations are just to high.

Thanks for the heads up guys, I have this book but haven't read it yet. I love the Great Lakes and am very interested in the shipwrecks of them. Thanks again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom