Shipwreck and flooding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, just finished watching TV patrol. The USN is giving their assistance and there's a team of 8 US divers on the S&R council to determine how they will go about with the penetration.

Currently the Princess of the Stars is lying in 60 feet of water and 1/3 of it is rocking over the reef wall. There is a possibility that it may plunge off the wall to the bottom (120 feet).

They showed video of the angry family members and the head of Sulpicio trying to calm them down. I was wishing someone would punch him in the face. That ferry should have never left the port.

The US Navy will bring some order to this otherwise idiotic and chaotic situation! This is unbelievable....those poor families are going through hell.

The US Navy will bring some order to this otherwise idiotic and chaotic situation! This is unbelievable....those poor families are going through hell.
I have the utmost respect for US Navy personnel, having worked with them in disaster response more than once. If they ever tried to take control over the situation, nothing would change or improve. They assist and provide insight as needed, but never step on any toes.

More than anything, the US Navy provides the necessary tools and equipment that the Coast Guard and Phil Navy lack. The Philippines is one of the countries that has the highest number of natural disasters per year. The disaster response personnel in the Philippines are some of the best and most experienced in the world. Give them the benefit of the doubt.

but, yes, I really feel for the families.

They showed video of the angry family members and the head of Sulpicio trying to calm them down. I was wishing someone would punch him in the face. That ferry should have never left the port.

ditto. should have never left port tsk tsk tsk

This is one of the saddest things I have seen of late. My heart goes out to the families and the lost.

Z...

The Philippines is one of the countries that has the highest number of natural disasters per year. The disaster response personnel in the Philippines are some of the best and most experienced in the world. .

No kidding. Earthquakes, mudslides, Pinatubo, shipwrecks (not natural but usually caused by one), multiple typhoons and subsequent flooding etc. Being on the Pacific Ring of Fire, plus being right in the middle of a major typhoon belt, the Philippines gets dished some heavy blows. And within a day people are cleaning up and smiling again. Amazing.

Lacking the tools and equipment is exactly my point. If the need is there for better tools and equipment then why doesn't our disaster response people (in the Philippines) have them already. As you stated already that we have a lot of disasters.....this sword cuts both ways. The average American Joe Taxpayer would argue why are my tax dollars going 3000 miles away to help non-US citizens, and an ignorant and greedy foreign shipping company when the US Navy should have been there for us (taxpayers) during Katrina (or other disasters). The lesson here is lack or preparedness by the governments. Our guys will be professional and do what is right. It just pisses me off when I hear of disasters that could have been prevented or handled much better. We (humans) are much better than that! We did not see "one government official" coming around to check on us or any of our neighbors. We were on our own in Antique. If the Philippines needs more people, equipment and tools for disaster relief then increase taxes or something! I pay enough enough US taxes to launch space shuttles, fight 2 wars, feed the world's poor, and do disaster relief.

Now many families are suffering because of piss poor planning......breaks my heart.

I have the utmost respect for US Navy personnel, having worked with them in disaster response more than once. If they ever tried to take control over the situation, nothing would change or improve. They assist and provide insight as needed, but never step on any toes.

More than anything, the US Navy provides the necessary tools and equipment that the Coast Guard and Phil Navy lack. The Philippines is one of the countries that has the highest number of natural disasters per year. The disaster response personnel in the Philippines are some of the best and most experienced in the world. Give them the benefit of the doubt.

but, yes, I really feel for the families.

Last edited:
BabyD, it's just the way it is. You can't compare one country to another in matters like this. The Philippines doesn't have a tax base to support even a meager coast guard to stop illegal fishing. There are many things in the Philippines that are every day life that would have lawyers in the US frothing at the mouth. Look at the overloaded jeepneys and buses.....OH MY GOD...how dangerous !! But, it works in the Philippines because that's all there is. They move 15 people 24 km on a gallon of gas....the US moves one person. Who is right?
Have you ever purchased cement blocks? Is there a building code? I can crush most of them into sand with one hand. How would this hold up in an earthquake? It sucks that this happened but it is what it is. Personally, I like living in countries like Belize (which is very much like the Philippines only smaller) and the PI where government isn't in your face all the time.

ditto. should have never left port tsk tsk tsk

Everyone that's ever sailed at Sea knows you don't leave port on FRIDAY!! :confused: It's an old Sailers superstition. What were they thinking. I heard that the Philippine Coast Guard approved the ship to sail? Why would they do that? :shakehead: I've seen other pictures from AP showing the ship is now on it's back with more of the Keel showing. God Bless those lost, those that survived and the families of everyone involved......Eh, what the hell, God bless the PPD too. Now local news here is reporting that Bush is sending the USS Ronald Reagan for disaster relief. GO NAVY! I'm sure that the Philippine agencies have their hands full so I hope they will be of assistance. Be safe everyone.

Back
Top Bottom