Ship Grounding in Subic Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stvbrit

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Upon reading the post of the recent grounding of a vessel in Sarangani, it reminded me of a similar incident this past May as result of Typhoon Dante (Kajica) here in beautifull Subic Bay. A large area of reef and frequented dive site on West side of Mayanga Is. was severely damaged by a yet unknown vessel that ran aground during the said storm. The damage is extensive estimated at 90 meters in length by 30 meters wide left a trench 2 meters deep in the reef, a real shame. Similarly the said reef has sustained damage from indiscriminate dynamite fishing over the years (what else is new) but was slowly showing signs of recovery. Ever since Subic Bay has been a moring location for layed up vessels out of work this was just an inevitable event waiting for a time and place to happen. This was reported to SBMA ecology department and Subic Municipality but the incident has been swept under the rug and covered up. The Captains of these vessels show no social responsibility in there incompetant actions and said shipping companies should be held accountable.
Just my two cents for what it's worth.

stvbrit,
Thanks for the information. Maybe with more publicity the bureacrats would have to do something.

Regards,
Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom