Series Of Screw-ups

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Then he began saying, "What can I do for you?"

I said I had lost a lot of air looking around for my fin, which he had managed to retrieve.

I said, I think we should terminate the dive, since I was exhausted and I had burned a significant amount of air looking for the fin.

He said again, "How can I help you dive?"

I could see he didn't want to cancel the dive and I had nowhere else to go, so I said, I need some more weight.
You only jump into the water when YOU are ready. No body can rush you whatsoever.
You should had told the guide that you want to terminate the dive. You do not need his/her permission to call the dive. It is your dive/life.

You're right, Stoo, that I may be making too big a deal about a situation that caused anxiety but no injury. Also, the second dive was one of the best of my life. All three were beautiful.

I never considered a 6 m (rather than 5 m) safety stop option. Certainly makes sense. In our shore dives (without guides), the last half of the dive is a slow and gradual ascent.

I get kind of picky about letting other people touch my gear. I try to be nice about it but if a DM removed my shoulder weights between dives I wouldn't be nice.

Hi Centrals.

I posted this message because it highlights one of the problems I encounter with some dive guides. The reality is, it's hard to cancel a dive for any reason without jeopardizing your relationship with the dive shop and the dive community.

After the second dive and the fact I waited five minutes on the ladder before climbing aboard, I thought that my exhaustion (coupled with lack of sleep the night before) could adversely impact not only my dive, but that

Apparently my message above got clipped before I sent it. Sorry.

Looking at other posts on the forum, I see I'm not the only guy who got stuck alone in the water. My experience was trivial compared to the fellow swimming for 1.5 hours in open seas.

What kind of dive shops leave their customers in the drink?

Back
Top Bottom