Ship and boat parts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take the level II and III courses and start teaching.

One thing you can do is to hang out with some marine survey guys and see if they will take you along for inspections on wooden boats or even ships. These guys know what they are looking at, and looking for, and can lay your hands on stuff that many archaeologists only read about.

If I was a few years younger, I would :)

Maybe after my retirement.

I did the NAS level one up here in Alaska last in September 2010. Great course. We surveyed an old landing craft abandoned on some private land near anchorage. Kind of a ship in the woods. I would love to take a level two class sometime soon.

There are a lot of good great lakes reference libraries. The Milwaukee, Wisconsin, public library has an excellent collection of great lakes maritime history materials. the thunder bay national marine sanctuary in Alpena, MI is another good source.

Nice to meet fellow enthusiasts. I recall a friend asking me about a wreck on Talcott Shoal near Santa Rose Island, California, and I enthusiastically gave him the entire history. He replied "that's all well and fine, I just wanted to say its a good place for lobster." Just then, I realized not everyone shares my passion.

Back
Top Bottom