Shingles and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam308

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Terrible timing. About two weeks ago I was having numbness and some pain in my right hip. After a week I went to the doctor and she thought perhaps a pinched nerve and gave me some back exercises to do. Several days later a patch of red skin with blisters started on my upper thigh. Back to the doctors and a diagnosis of shingles.

Now here is my issue. In two weeks I am suppose to dive in Grand Cayman and then Cozumel and I'm concerned if I will be able to dive. At present the blisters are scabbing over although I still have some numbness in my hip but have no loss of strenght or any other physical issues. Shingles is a viral infection in the nerve cells. Would I be more inclined for DCS with this problem? Should I be back to normal in two weeks? Would it be safe to dive if the numbness is still around?

A little personal history, I'm 46, male, in physical good shape. I had shingles once before when I was in my early 20's.

I would hate to miss my scheduled dives.

Thanks,
Sam

If your attack is anything like mine, you will not be back to normal.

I could think of no mechanism by which shingles would increase the risk of DCS, so I dived when I had them. The only impact I noticed was discomfort when donning my wetsuit. A lycra skin underneath helped.

Perhaps the numbness could mask some DCS symptoms, so you might want to dive a bit more conservatively. (I didn't.)

But there are better and more complete answers here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/diving-medicine/170748-shingles-any-contras.html

Thanks for the reply and link. As I am in the healing process and the patch of affected area is only a 3x2 inch area on my upper thigh, my concern is this is a virus which effects the nervous system and and I don't want to have any long term injuries. As far as strenght or physical ablity, there is no issue and I am no longer infectious.

Diving a little more conservatively if I still have numbness may be in order.

I sent an email to DAN and received the following response from one of the staff doctors:

"In general, restrictions for diving with shingles would be no different
than being cleared for snorkeling or swimming. If any vesicles or
lesions are beyond infectious stages and your physician has cleared you
for travel and strenuous physical exercise, that you're feeling well
enough to dive and all else is normal, then diving can be considered."

It looks like I will be diving!

Sam

Would I be more inclined for DCS with this problem? Should I be back to normal in two weeks? Would it be safe to dive if the numbness is still around?

Hi Sam308,

In a nutshell:

1.(Q) Would I be more inclined for DCS with this problem?

(A) No.

2. (Q) Should I be back to normal in two weeks?

(A) Improvement would be expected, but unlikely to be complete.

3. (Q) Would it be safe to dive if the numbness is still around?

(A) What DAN said.

Regards,

DocVikingo

I find that salt water tends to help me recover sooner. No matter what the problem, a good dive or long swim in fresh cold water helps. Poison Ivy, Mono... Crazy to say something so superstitious as a scientist, but there is something about the ocean that cures all. Even serious cuts seem to heal faster! (And yes I know what all the books say, salt water is packed with bacteria and infections are a huge risk. But guess what, short of a sucking chest wound, I have never seen salt water be anything be good for my cuts.)

Thanks guys, I got back home today and while I'm still not 100%, I was diving without any issue and vastly improved over several weeks ago.

Joe

Back
Top Bottom