She's home.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
0500 hours I’m over at the Marine Sgt’s house just two miles from my place. We load up the new 4X4 Duce and point our grill towards Seattle.

Holy Poo Batman who put a quarter in the vibrator? Concrete roads and empty 2 ton trucks make a good marital aid but a lousy ride. The first and last hour of the trip were like being in a rodeo.

At 0930 we have covered 330 miles and are dropping off equipment for our new Almar RHI that is in the early construction stage.

Then north a bit to pick up our big boat that has just had the SS modifications.

We go over the work done which was very good. The davit on the bow to hold the search cable, the cradle to hold the fish, the new hatch the cable will run out of to the davit, the flexible computer monitor brackets, the inverter system, Cable reel, pump and a bunch of other stuff. 15K worth of modifications but everything looks and worked well.

I hook up while the Sgt. gives them a couple of checks and off we go headed towards a secret lunch spot about 30 minutes away.

After a great lunch I take the controls and over the Cascade Range we go. Trying to cross the mountains with 12 foot lanes and a 10 foot wide 13,000 pound boat with Memorial Weekend and truck traffic on a concrete roadway was a shear joy, NOT.

Once we got over the mountains we got to the asphalt and things got nice and smooth. I set the cruse control at 60 and run on down the freeway sucking $3 worth of fuel every 5 miles. I played with the speed and it didn’t matter if we were at 55 or 65 MPH it was in the mid 5’s for mileage. We got 8 going over empty running between 70 and 75 but coming home we had 5 axles so we were at the truck limit of 60.

It was around 1930 hours when we pulled into the SD and put the boat in one of the big bays. Now I’m home and we’re pooped. Now the real work starts getting up to speed with everything.

Nap time.

Gary D.:D :D :D

Definately need pics!!!!!!!

Here she is in the water. I will get some pics later. Right now the only difference is the boom and roller on the bow and the Honda hydraulic pump on the dive platform. Everything else is hidden.

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/36174/cat/500/ppuser/2714

The inverter fit very nicely into an existing compartment. The inverter batteries fit into another existing compartment. The glove compartment lost its door and the opening cut larger to hold a lap top computer. The forward cabin bulkhead didn’t have to be cut or modified because the 1000’ cable reel went through the door and we still have about 50% of the cabin left for whatever.

They even mounted the boom so it didn’t interfere with the existing nav lights. Other than two large very stout adjustable flat screen computer mounts, one at the helm for the pilot and one at the table for the SS operator there aren’t many visible differences. Even the control handle is tucked into the crease in the seat next to the port bulkhead right at the operator’s side.

Very nice clean set up. We still have to go and trim some wire ties and little things like that but once we hook up the cables the system is operational. It’s us that need to be brought up to speed.

Oh, I almost forgot. The name of the boat is no longer SHERIFF (across the stern). The Honda hydraulic pump covered up the “S” so we are now a “HERIFF”. What in the world is a HERIFF? A new cartoon character? We might look like one when we start training with it.

Gary D.

I gotta get me one of those! Hey Gary, if I come out to Idaho will you take me out on a "training" mission? Have you thought about supplementing your dept's income by taking out other divers on "training missions"?

Very cool! It's nice when things go together with little to no modifications. I'll be waiting to see the detail shots. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom