Sherwoods at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnL

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I have been diving this season (my first) with an older conshelf SE2 that I picked up used with some other gear. As I get closer to the cold water season I am concerned about having an unsealed first stage and the potential for free flow problems. I am already hitting 42 deg at depth and know that it is only going to get colder from here on out.

I am considering picking up a Sherwood Blizzard for colder water use (ok, all the time) and maybe moving the conshelf to a pony bottle next year. I have done a search and it seams that people really like the blizzard for it's reliability in cold water. There seams to be some confusion about how Sherwoods performance at depth and very few stated opinions on the blizzard (most seem focused on the unbalanced brut).

Right now I am not doing any really deep dives or diving all winter as I don't have a drysuit this year but I can see myself doing more aggresive dives as I get more experience. I know everyone loves their Apeks, but my LDS does not carry or service them. I would prefer to stick with Sherwood or Oceanic (maybe a delta 3?) for easy servicing.

Any opinions on the blizzard or any of the other balanced sherwoods? Anyone used them below 100' and have an opinion.

Thanks....I know reg performance get's kicked around quite a bit, but I couldn't find anything relating to the balanced sherwoods by searching.

John

Hi John,

I've been diving with my Sherwood Maximus reg for three years and it's been good in cold water. Most of my diving is in the 60-75 degree range. I haven't come across anyone with a Blizzard reg yet but it seems to get good reviews in the dive mags.

I'm not a big fan of the really cold water diving (wetsuit diver), so I've only made four dives in the high-30/low-40 degree range. Depth 90 - 110' max. Air flow was good and I didn't experience any free-flows. Several other divers at the same dive sites have had free-flows, even in the 45+ degree range at shallower depth (40 to 50').

Cheers,
Mike

I had the same concerns before buying Blizzards for my wife and myself. They are very popular here in Southern Maine. They are widly used by the public safety folks which includes ice dives and other cold weather rescue operations.

Here is a post that details our buying decision: (forgive the typos)
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1150519&postcount=3

Since that time both have continued to give flawless service with 47-36 dives on the set-ups. We've both been to 78 feet at 42F and all was fine.

Pete

I have never used the Blizzard, but I use the Maximus as my 2nd primary on my doubles and a Brut on my deco bottle. What you will find from research is the balanced Sherwood's are considered "tanks" and breath OK for recreational purposes. I have never breathed my Maximus deeper than 125' but it was fine at that depth and it has never frozen. My Brut works fine as a deco reg though I have never breathed it deeper than 80'. I use a Scuba Pro reg as my first primary.

--Matt

Thanks to all!

I dove with a buddy this weekend who may be selling his oceanic to get something flashier. If I don't go that route I will probably go with the Blizzard.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom