Sherwood?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cfdsmokeater

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Do any cavers use sherwood? Seems to me apex and SP have the majority. Just wondering if this is another piece of equipment to look forward to upgrading?

I don't think there's anything wrong with a Sherwood reg, I just don't trust a reg that is suppose to bubble.

Some divers do but usually they switch out after a while and a bit of ribbing from the other divers. Cave divers do not like to see bubbles from their regs

I use it for sidemounting. It has an excellent low profile,no swivel,and will take tremendous abuse. A friend of mine who did a majority of the exploration on cave systems on the Withlacoochee in the 70s to present day,still uses nothing but Sherwood.

loosebits:
I don't think there's anything wrong with a Sherwood reg, I just don't trust a reg that is suppose to bubble.

In some senses the dry bleed mechanism is superior in that it will give you the indication of a problem since you'll visually see a properly functioning component.
Sherwoods used to be a choice of cave divers not only because of their manifolds which were built like a Sherman tank,but the durability of their regulators. At one time many first stages had large convuluted shapes and the Sherwoods had a flat streamlined profile. Just remember tomorrow's Apexs may be today's Sherwoods in popularity.

That was kind of a joke. Apparently not a very good one though :)

Btw SmokeEater, I was recently up in WV with a friend of mine that used to live there, he was introducing me to dry caving. Had a lot of fun, beautiful state especially contrasted with the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex with is pretty much a giant parking lot.

Thanks for all the feedback and for the good comments about our state. Would be lost without this community we have online. Lets say I were to buy an economical (not cheap though) set of regs, what brand/model should I be looking @?

Thanks everyone,
Joe.

I don't cave dive but I use a 17 yr old Sherwood Magnum as my regulator. It's been going strong for almost 20 years now.

AL

Well, I have a brand new maximus, and I love it. Also have a MK2-R190. Both perform great, but the maximus (unscientifc) seem to perform better @depth (100-120 ft) But, I never never hear any cavers using sherwood period other than posted above. I don't know if maybe the swivel was a problem and/or the positive pressure design of the 1st stage was a no no. The positive pressure design keeps me safe during firefighting by not allowing contaminents in if I have an improper/failed seal on my face piece....but that is a different animal. My friend who is getting me interested in cave diving use to use nothing but sherwood, but as soon as he went to the darkside, it was nothing but SP. I will be honest, I have no "offical" cave training, but plan to start here before long. But training +equipment all @ once is not going to happen on a firemans wage so I'm trying to adjust my openwater kit slowly and according to the advisement of educated cavers.

Thanks, Joe.

Most cave divers I know, use Zeagle or Atomic. I hear that might change somewhat come DEMA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom