Sherwood Wisdom computers lock up when new year 1-1-2012 rolls over

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Hi. My wife and I both have wisdom dive computers. Mine has 703 dives and hers has around 400. We are in Bonaire and they have been working flawlessly for years. Mine is probably about 8 years old and hers 7, give or take a year.

When we woke up on new years day 2012 to go diving hers was flashing between all the screens and would not stop. I changed batteries and by pushing both buttons at once and holding them got it to stop. Reset the date and went diving. It recorded the dive then went to flashing again. After taking the battery out again now it will only display garbage.

My computer appeared to be ok but during the first dive it would not go out of surface mode. It showed pressure ok so I went ahead and did the dive. Now this evening it is flashing different screens and partial letters like the computer has went bonkers.

Had only one shot craps I would have chalked it up to "it just broke". But the odds of BOTH of them screwing up, on the same day, on the same dive, at the beginning of a new year????

I am guessing a bug in the software.

Now the question. Is there a way to reset this (older) Wisdom computer? If it is a date issue, I might be able to set it back to 2001 or something. I brought one spare computer (another brand) but not two and we still have a month left to dove here in Bonaire. Would like to get them going.

Any suggestions? After I get home will check with Sherwood and see what it takes to rebuild them or get them fixed if possible.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom